What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm breeding dart frog      food, fruit flys

Hey,
I just started a few fruit fly cultures, drosophila hydeii, for my dart frogs... i am experiencing with diff medias, im not sure if they will work out... one of them is:

bananas
apples
oatmeal
brewers yeast

I'll let you know how it goes...
any suggestions?
-Spec

I have some short-winged flies for my fish and cps. Try:

Instant potato mix with a pinch of sugar and a few grains of baker's yeast mixed in. (Add water of course).

Gerber's single grain rice baby food. It's in a yellowish box found in the baby isles at the store. Also add sugar, and a few grains of yeast, and water.

For both of these you can add a bit of vinegar to slow mold. After I transfer newly hatched flies to a new container to lay larvae it's about two weeks and this stuff starts to mold. Since I use plastic water bottle containers, it's just easier for me to throw them away than to use stinky vinegar!

i use red wine with mashed banannas mixed in. works great and is slow to mold over =)

Plus it give me an excuse to buy more wine!

biggrin.gif
It was a success!
biggrin.gif

WOOHOO! 50 flies on my first day
smile.gif
i started 3 more cultures, and from now on i will start a culture every other day
smile.gif

Spec, untill the end of Feb Ed's fly meat is having a 25% off sale on pre made medium with mold inhibitor.

joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (joseph @ Feb. 17 2004,01:37)]Spec, untill the end of Feb Ed's fly meat is having a 25% off sale on pre made medium with mold inhibitor.

joe
I know one thing: I'M STOCKING UP!!!
tounge.gif
wink.gif
wow.gif
blues.gif
laugh.gif

8 lbs myself. That should keep for a while.

spec, you gonna be up to your neck in flies at the rate of a new culture every other day
tounge.gif

hmm, i think ill hold off on the media from eds... 1 dollar a culture! my home made ones were 18 cents a culture

yes larry, thats my plan
laugh.gif
i will take over the world with my army of flies!!!! muahahahaha, MUAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lol, seriously though, alot will be for my plants and fish
smile.gif

Back