What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Grape Vine Decoration beetles

NickHubbell

It’s a trap!
I purchased a sanded grape vine decoration for use in my gecko setup. I noticed several small black beetles (1/4 inch) with tear drop heads flying around the setup. Today, I noticed holes and dust on the grapevine wood.

Anyone know what these might be and will they do damage to my house?

Will soaking the wood in bleach for a few weeks kill the larva?

I will try to get a photo on the beetles when they sit still long enough.

Thanks

Those beetles are easily killed with bleach. I have had them also, didn't really do much, just at some holes into nearby nepenthes.

Thanks!

I think I have them all killed now. I had seen 4 moving around but noticed 13+ holes. I wasn't very thrilled to have wood boring beetles in a solid wood panel room.

I soaked the wood in a bleach solution for about 30 minutes and noticed two beetles tried to escape but died before they could make it out of the holes. Next, I put the grapevine in the oven at 400°F for 30 minutes. This also seemed to drive 3 more beetles out. This time, they got baked before they could escape. Now, the entire grapevine is in the freezer.

I do have 3 beetles in alcohol for photographing later. These either were flying around in my setup or ones that drowned in the bleach solution.

I do think they are all dead now.

I just found a photo on the web of the same beetle. I have False Powderpost Beetles and I really hope they have not gotten out into this room. The panels are 40 year old pine these things appear to be able to go through it like butter. I am going to try and return this product as its less than 30 days old.

Image and information on the beetle can be found here: http://www.hydrexheat.com/pests/falsepowderpost.html

[b said:
Quote[/b] (NickHubbell @ Mar. 01 2004,04:44)]Thanks!

I think I have them all killed now. I had seen 4 moving around but noticed 13+ holes. I wasn't very thrilled to have wood boring beetles in a solid wood panel room.

I soaked the wood in a bleach solution for about 30 minutes and noticed two beetles tried to escape but died before they could make it out of the holes. Next, I put the grapevine in the oven at 400°F for 30 minutes. This also seemed to drive 3 more beetles out. This time, they got baked before they could escape. Now, the entire grapevine is in the freezer.

I do have 3 beetles in alcohol for photographing later. These either were flying around in my setup or ones that drowned in the bleach solution.

I do think they are all dead now.
careful now! beetles can hybernate, one time i had put one of those pots of mealworms int he freezer. it still ha done beetle. well, when i took them out 3 days later, the mealworms were dead, but that beetle was alive! it jumped out, but before it got under the closest rug, SPLAT! lol
-Spec

Back