What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sand for a snake

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I just bought a snake this weekend and the substrate for this species calls for sand. What is the best kind to use, and what are some other acceptable choices.

my dear palie-pooh,
this site will prolly tell you all you need to know and more...good luck! btw my new spiderlings are munchin on some baby crickets as i type!!!! they r all chubbie already...
kingsnake.com

Ozzy, I use Calci-sand for my snakes. I have 2 Desert Kingsnakes, and 1 California Kingsnake, and there "sand" base is calcium granules, crushed to look like sand. When a snake feeds, they don't have the means to clean out their mouths so a lot of things go down with the food. Including sand. Since I don't need vet bills, I used the Calci-sand as it is calcium, and will be digested inside the snake without compacting its gut. It is then eliminated as waste, with some going towards the building of a healthy skeletal system. Harmless to the snake, and worth using, I think. What did you get, Oz? The standard Boa Constrictor or python, or a good ole American snake?

Death, I checked on kingsnake.com before and it didn't really say.
Bugweed, where can I get Cali-sand? Is it expensive?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]What did you get, Oz? The standard Boa Constrictor or python, or a good ole American snake?
Of course I got an American snake. I'm alot more interested in local reptiles then exotic. I'm not going to say what I got just yet, I want to play Guess this snake. Look in the other topic for details and a pic of the snake.
I do have a pic of his enclosure.
cage.jpg

What do you think?

Very nice, but wood bark substrates attract mites, and they can be a pain too. A snake infested with mites is miserable as these bloodsuckers make him sick. I use Reptile Relief for mites. It isn't a poison, and yet kills lice, ticks, mites, and fleas on contact. Avoid using the product on the eye scales, or within six hours after a shed. Calci-sand is sold at Petco, and other pet stores and outlets. It comes in various background colors too. Black, white, green, gray, etc. I like the desert king against the black background. Her yellow stands out like a beacon. Purty. So beat feet down to Petco, and see what you find.

your best bet for any snake these days is aspen shavings. They are not deadly like cedar shavings and is good in collecting waste and conducting heat.

Back