Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Basilisk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, old time member but not around very often lately so not sure if many of you will remeber me.

I have recently acquired a pair of basilisk, how cool are they [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] . They are very active and sure like to eat and swim. Couple of questions for anyone who has raised these guys before. Is tap water or distilled water better to use in the pool? I'm pretty sure they drink from it also. I do mist the tank daily, but they like the pool.

I'm trying to use plants in the pool for filtration, although having trouble finding plants that they don't destroy when jumping all around. Anyone with any suggestions of sturdy water plants?

I have not been in the habit of changing the water in the pool, evaporation is pretty quick so it gets topped off at least once a week if not more frequent. Although this is the first that the pool is being used, so I'm not certain what build up of waste will begin in the pool and what it will do to the drinking factor. I'm hoping the plant filter will keep it in ok shape.

Well any thoughts would be appreciated.
    Linda in PA

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Webpage

Here's a site that has several links that should help you - particularly the care sheet. I see you are from PA. So am I. I live near Reading. How about you?

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I highly recommend using R.O. water or at least an additive that takes chlorine and chloramine out as well as many other junk in the water. Waste buidup will be pretty fast and needs at least weekly changes but more often is deffinitely better. Care is pretty easy though.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the links. Bonnie and Clyde are not green, they are the common brown type but I expect care to be pretty much the same. I tried some grapes this AM to see if they will try some fruit, they sure love the crickets, having gone through about 6 dozen in less than a week.

I'm going to try growing lettuce in a sponge that will be wedged into the outside edge of the pool. If it works, it may be a another food source for them. Not sure if it will get too warm in the tank for lettuce or not.

I'll stick to the distilled water, the growing lettuce will help to filter the pond I hope. Guess I'll also try some pothos cuttings in the pool; the roots of the pothos are supposed to be great filters also. The only problem I see with pothos is it grows pretty quick and may get too big. The pool set up is not such that I can remove it to clean. Will look into one of those fish vaccums to clean out solid waste and hope the plants use the urea waste to keep the pool clean.

I live up in Erie PA. My husband lived in Reading for a while in his youth.

Thanks again
    Linda in PA

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like your weather better than mine - especially during the summer. Good luck / skill with your Basilisk!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Jim,

Sure couldn't prove weather by us right now, tons of rain and still way to cold. Looking forward to good motorcycle weather soon.

The basilisk's, Bonnie and Clyde, are doing great so far. The swimming pool was open at 7:00 Am and they both were taking a dip. I think they are setting up for the mating thing which will prove interesting if we get any babies. At least I'll have a reason to get another tank.

I still need to figure out a sturdy water plant, these guys are cremating anything I've put in so far.

Have a good day.
    Linda in PA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How about Water Hyacinth? That stuff grows like weeds. I use it to filter out my pond in my backyard. Surely any damage the lizards can do will grow back. Could also try water lettuce.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good ideas Allosaurz. Water Lettuce is on my list to look for, I think the water Hyacinth may get too big (if it makes it LOL). I'm also thinking about some water chestnuts, I think I can get those at the supermarket.

I want something with a good root system but the plant itself can't get huge (bushy or tall) unless it can be pruned often. I'm also thinking about java fern, it sounds like they can grow emersed which will be necessary.

Thanks again,
    Linda in PA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast