What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stick insects

Hello,

Anyone know where I can buy Extatosoma tiaratum, Heteropteryx dilatata, Phyllium giganteum, and Phyllium celebicum? Or any other stick insect?

All I can find are sites in the UK and australlia
confused.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated
biggrin.gif

Hey Spec, I have been looking for quite some time and I think the best website is insecthobbist.com. people some times stick up adds selling stick insects. look in the classifies
smile.gif
Oh yeah Carolina Specialty Pets.com has 2 kinds of sticks

smile_k_ani_32.gif
10 bucks a piece! it should be 10 bucks for like 20 of them!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
(you pay 10 bucks for 200 mantids)

wow... Ive looked everywhere, and that seems to be the ONLY place in the US that carries them!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Not much of a selection though...

I'm also looking for Carausius morosus
biggrin.gif

Ok, so ANY stick insect. i'm getting desperate!
smile_n_32.gif

Spec, Since you don't want to pay 10 bucks for one I know where you can get alot of them really cheap. Go outside to your nearest tree and look below the tree pick up some sticks and paint eyeballs on them. Put them in a tank.
They are very easy to care for.
laugh.gif

Do you know how dissapointed I was when I read that? I was hoping you had some links!
mad.gif

confused.gif

smile_k_ani_32.gif

smile_m_32.gif

LOL

Unblock me on AIM
smile_m_32.gif

EDIT: Ok, I'm willing to pay over 10 bucks for them ;>

ok, FINE! FINE! willin to pay 30 bucks, i dunno...

Looked everywhere, no one in the USA seems to have em!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
They're ALL in the UK!!
confused.gif
smile_t_32.gif

Spec, I don't have you blocked on my aim. My pc has a worm that I'm trying to find and I have not been on aim in a while. I would never block you, I love offending you. It's just so much fun.

get pest patrol. works like a charm
smile_k_ani_32.gif
biggrin.gif
its free too. best spyware and adware program there is. I think it takes out worms too

Why do yah want to BUY stick bugs? there everywhere here in the summer,I`m guessing you don`t have them liveing where you live? The ones here realy only get like up to maybe 4in. long.

I want the australlian giant smallly form, it has leaflike appendages on it... gets 6 inches long.

maybe i could trade you a cp or two for a bundle of these waling sticks you ahve? do you have a pic of them?

Better be sure its legal. I'm sure there are severe restrictions on insects, esp. if you live in CA or one of the Ag states.

no, its legal, as long as you dont release them into the wild... you're required to kill almost all the eggs, I think...

but that is for the australlian form... there would be no problem getting pond boys, its native to the US anyways.

Besides, a local teacher I know/met at the library wants em, and teachers are allowed to have em... Just think of it as me getting them for her
smile_m_32.gif
(I will be giving her some)

Hmmm...I never thought of shipping insects How do you ship them? I don`t feel like shipping bugs though.

Btw. What do stick insects eat anyhow?

stick insects eat blackberry (bramble) mostly, but they will accept rose sometimes, and the australlian form loves eucalyptus (I have 3 eucalyptus trees in me backyard)

My guess is similar to plants. Have you observed a petstore unpacking crickets before? You'd need a box, and in that box I would pack newspaper and a smaller cardboard box with the sticks inside. For oxygen, perhaps you could have one side of the inside box cut open and patched with wire screening...which would also allow the sticks to climb up and rest...instead of tumbling around and most likely dieing of stress.

Not to sure if native helps anything. Since you don't have them where you live(I bet you do...but are missing them)...I heard you are required to have a permit to ship butterfly caterpillars...like mourning cloaks and painted ladys...which are all over the place.

Anyone know the restrictions for sure...or a website?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Nflytrap @ June 07 2004,1:48)]Not to sure if native helps anything. Since you don't have them where you live(I bet you do...but are missing them)...I heard you are required to have a permit to ship butterfly caterpillars...like mourning cloaks and painted ladys...which are all over the place.

Anyone know the restrictions for sure...or a website?
my sister got a kit from insect lore on butterflies last year... no permits whatsoever required... they are found throughout the USA

I'm in envy of them british over there. theres some place over there called easy exotics or something like that and they have crabs, stickbugs, grasshoppers,scorps, AND ANTS! I really, REALLY want an ant colony
mad.gif
crazy Permits!
smile_h_32.gif

Nonnative stick insects are prohibited in the USA as plant pathogens. SAme as the Giant Land Snails. They do show up for sale from time to time and are the result of eggs being mailed to people in the USA illegally. If you were going to try and be legit about it you would need an enclosure with doubler containment as well as a sealed room and the appropriate APHIS permits.
This is why you do not tend to see them offered too often and usually as eggs when it happens. Depending on where you live in the USA there are native species of walking sticks that are legal to keep.

Ed

Teachers are allowed to have them... So if I could get in contact with anyone that had em, I'm sure I could get them easily through my next door neighbors

Back