Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grey tree frogletts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They eyes are silver on the light and copper on the dark. I don't think I have a true albino, probubly just a super diluted individual. Unfortunetly since albinos can have pink, blue or silver eyes depending on species it doesn't help me much.

I do have another question. Three nights ago I returned home from my grandma's bithday to find "Piggy" my largest morph out of the water. I now call these frogletts my stickies and am up to 4 stickies and 10 pop-n-fresh as I call the new morphs, lol. Anyhow, I got fruitflies (D. Hydei) for my little stickies (2-3cm long each), but they are not eating [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] Do they have to totally absorb their tails to start eating because my oldest is now 99% tailess, but I haven't seen it eat yet, although I can only find 9 of the 10 flies I put in the terrarium. And when they do start eating, how often should they be eating and how much. I am probubly just being paranoid, but I want to make sure they are doing okay. Thanks [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Okay my earlier post saying versicolor was origenal is apparently wronge. I guess they desided to give the name to the tetraploid for some weird reason violating modern nomenclature rules. Ah, the joy of taxonomy.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A true albino has pink/red eyes anything else is a leucistic (defined as : "an aberration of genetic origin, typically of faded or washed-out colouration; not to be confused with albinism.") From the sound of it though you probably just have a pale morph.

Froglettes can last upto a month on the stores from their tails but I would not recommend forcing them to that extreme.

If the flies are disappearing then they are probably eating them, they are nocturnal remember so they are probably doing all their eating at night while you sleep.

I am still out on the typical form being a tetraploid. According to all literature a tetraploid is still the same species as the original parent (i.e. a tetraploid D. rotundifolia is still D. rotundifolia.) So since Typical and Cope's are classified as different species that to me would mean that one is not a tetraploid of the other.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice topic.
    Grey treefrogs are Hyla versicolor, BTW. At least last time I knew. I found out they re-did the naming of some snakes and cornsnakes are no longer Elaphe(I can understand this as people have crossed them with kingsnakes, milksnakes and pinesnakes).
    There are albino green treefrogs, so I don't see why a grey would not arise. Keep in mind, almost everything produces occasional albinos, but it's not best for them, as they sit out like a sore thumb and usually get killed wuickly in Nature. Leucistic(sp?) is a white form, with normal eyes. If this one is so light that is would stick out, you may want to keep it as a pet, as it may be doomed in the wild.
    A half water/half land detup would be good for some of these, with small insect food available(maybe fruit flies if the froglets are small enough).

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe,

I was not denying the existance of an albino, I was only stating that I don't think she had an albino.

And as for albinos sticking out like sore thumbs and getting picked off easily all I have to say is that the albino chipmonk in my neighborhood is luck he is an albino or else I probably would have not seen him in my head lights and run him over LOL
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry how that may have sounded. You are right about it not sounding like an albino. I was just pondering about them while on the subject. Big bucks for albino critters, if you can breed them. For me it gets tireing-if I want a corn snake, it's because of it's beautiful coloration. Why would you covet it if it's albino?

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I rather like my albino corn with his creamsicle orange, neon yellow and vibrant vermillion colouration [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] I'll see if I can get a pic up some day

It is the snowballs/blizzards that boggle me, they look like overgrown overcooked living spagetti

I had an albino horned frog to but that was pointless as they spend their lived burried so what is the point?!?

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a pixie frog. He stays buried in the substrate until food is running around. He is just a little one, but he is already wider than he is long. Do horned frogs tend to bite, or are they cool for the most part?

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on the frog really. My C. ornata was quite mellow and took guppies and goldfish from my fingers when he was small. The albino C. cranwelli was pill and always went for my fingers instead of the guppies. When I moved to mice the ornata was so conditioned to hand feeding that I had to continue the habit, the cranwelli would explode from the earth and take the live mouse before I even got it half way into the cage. Luck of the draw I guess, one good and one bad

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast