Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grey tree frogletts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know, it seems like we have had this debate before. What you say goes againced everything I've ever been taught, but that doesn't mean what I've been taught is correct. I'll make a note to sit down and study the subject a bit more to see if I can find data supporting eather clame, and bug my albino freinds.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the data Spec [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] I did not know that, though it explains why they head twords the light in the evening and at dawn [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Unfortunetly [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] all our local rocks seem baren of life o_O I think everything have been sucked into a black hole or something. I spent 4 hours trying to find insects the proper size today with little luck :P I'm now headed out again into the dusk buggy air.

....Just thinking, albino horses and leucopathic horses are both recognised colors, but both have blue eyes, anyone know the difference?
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And once again the pickings are scarce :P Nothing under the rocks, 5 million oversized earwigs under a peice of bark and a wood roach under a board. Thankfully the roach was housemates with 5 sow bugs, but all are too big. I put them in with the frogs anyhow and gave them a peice of potato. I think maybe it is the lack or rain the last week that is the problem. I set out a big board in my garden and a white towel on a bush so maybe I'll luck out and have some things in the morning.

If not... [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] I'm going to have to go buy another vial of fruit flies :P why the adults all dropped dead is beyond me, but the larvea just begain to pupate so it will be two or three days before they become adults :P
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcie,

If you are buying fruit flies then why not just toss half into a well sealed container with some over ripe bananas and let the buggers breed? That way you will have a whole ton of them.

As for your missing bugs, try digging a couple inches down into the dirt under a rock, usually that scares things up. And look near places that have some kind of perpetual water source, like under a hose faucet or near a pool.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah yes, that is a good thought (about the water). [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] I AM breeding fruit flies, but my entire collection is imature right now so I have no adults to feed my frogs at this vary moment.

...Regarding keeping my own fruit fly culture, is banana really the best choice? It seems like it would be short lived. At school we used a special blue mix to grow our flies, but I haven't seen it for sale. Does anyone with lots of fruit fly culture experience (AKA those with dart frogs) have any home made sugestions (Pyro, if your in this catagory please excuse my ignorance and I'll do the banana, it just seems to ovious, lol)

...About the rocks... digging in a dry season is brilliant... except I failed to mention something. Our lack of under rock critters is in part from them being hidden and in part because every rock I flip over is home to one of 2 things, both of which do not do well with visitors. The first is spiders, These tubby little black and yellow fuzzy fellows dig tunnles all over the place just under the rock and fill them with web. The remains of any creature unfortunet enough to use THAT rock as shelter are everyware. If I dig under these rocks, as I have been tempted, I'll destroy the spiders home and potentially hurt it, I just feel bad doing that... and I had one bite me rather badly once when I desturbed it and would not like a repeat The second critter I run into are ants, lots and lots of ants who rather agressively defent their home. Not one trace of other life is around these stones.

My third problem is sand, we have a lot here and any stone in sand is just void of life compleatly... Now, I just rememberd that we have a rock circle out in the pasture, I think I will look their in a minute, in the meantime I have some more updates on my situation and of course, questions [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

Okay, so last night I put out a board and a white towlle. The towel has NOTHING on it, that has to be a first for this trap :P ah well, my naboors real pool and my kiddy pool of extra tadpoles must be better attractents. The board(is that the proper spelling?) I'll flip mid day when things should have taken shelter. I also just put out a new trap, desperation really, it's an ant trap (peice of cheese in a cup on it's side in my garden). Ants are the one thing I have lots of and the little black ones are not proticularly aggressive. Now for the question. Are ants an okay food sorce for my frogs?! I know how tricky ants are and that only some things eat them, but I have no clue as to how frogs do. Thanks for your help again everyone, and especially to Pyro for sticking with me threw all my confution, lol.

Oh and one last thing, the behaviors Spec mentioned are really coming into light [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] It seems during the day everyone in my new large terrarium (a large globe from PFT with cheese cloth and plastic wrap on top) clime to the tippy top in the day and wedge into a little ridge around the lid. It's like a ledge and they just love it their. They spend all night up their too, but at dawn they drop down and start hopping all over. Infact, they are still at it this morning and they run, literally run up and down hop and flip to the other side, they are so cute and wacky [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] My 3 older ones prefer to just sit mid level or on the plant in their little aquarium during the afternoon and at night, but during the morning they actually hang out on the bottom of the tank... I think if I keep any I will make a ledge around the top for them to mash into during the day since they seem to like that so much. I think it's that hiding in creveces thing... Oh and my youngest ones fresh from the water, they hid in the folds of the paper towle, hang mid way on the glass or perch on the rimb of the water jug [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Sorry, I just wake up every day and want to squeal with happyness when I see my little babies growing up. I have over 20 morphs now, I haven't an exact count just yet, but I'd guess 25 are out of the water, last night I had 19 out, and lots more came out this morning.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcie,

Funnel web spiders are indeed a pain and will eat anything near them so digging around them will be fruitless.

I would avoid ants as a food source, even small numbers can swarm little critters and frogs, as I am sure you well know, have very sensitive skin so a few nips could cause problems.

For the fruit flies, no I am not a dart frog person, never really had the time for their care. However, fruit flies are a model genetic system and the microbial genetics department is liken with the eukaryotic genetics department so I know a bunch of people who work with fruit flies in their labs. There are "special" foods for them but most labs actually find it more cost effective to mash up banana with fish flakes and then supliment that with some other fruits like a little bit of apple or pear or mellon or something. Considering the number of rogue fruit flies on campus I would say that the stuff works pretty good. And you I would like to point out that the reason fruit flies became a model system is because they were easy to find back in the old old days of science. Guys would just go down to the docks where the banana shipments came in and net a whole hoard of flies then scoop up some of the rotten bananas that were left from the shipment and head back to the lab.

I have another idea for you. They are called deadfall traps. Take a glass jar (any size will do) and dig a hole and drop the jar into it. Back fill the hole so that the top of the jar is just at soil level. If you want you can drop something in as bait but it is not necassary. To have any kind of productive haul you will need to do a good number of these but if you check them every morning you will probably end up with a variety of stuff in the course of a week or so.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yah I use to keep pitfalls all the time for fun when I was little. Fruit and stuff does work, but it's a pain to work with, I was hoping for a less nasty methiod... maybe I can grow yeast in potato flakes? If I don't have anything under my board I'll slip the cup down their. Thanks again [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Edit: Good news, I was looking in the older froglet cage and realised they had eaten one of the katydid nimphs I had put in so I went up a little on the food size and got a bunch of little grasshoppers, full grown leaf hoppers and crickets [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] some look to be a bit to large, but I'm hoping the smaller ones I got will get eaten [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    perhaps not all species produce albinos.

Take the zebra finch. (my birds are zebra finches)

They have been bred in captivity in the millions for countless (of their) gernerations. There is a great variety of forms and shapes, but no albino has ever been produced, or seen. Every other animal that has been bred on that vast of scale has produced albinos somewhere along the line, but not zebra finches, for some odd reason. Why? are they simply incapeable, or is it just much more infrequetly then other species? There is no natural selection in captivity normally, so they can have been preyed upon. Its one of the great misterys of aviculture.
    that makes no logic

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast