Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Grey tree frogletts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, been a little bussy lately to post or read about CPs, but part of my bussyness was in raising 57 (now 56 dew to resent sudden loss of one) tadpoles. As far as I can tell they are Grey Treefrogs, but I don't know which species. Anyhow, I figured I'd have a few days from when the frount limb buds appeard to the full legs. Not so! Quite literally they poped out on several of my little babies overnight! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] Thankfully no one has desided to climb out of their milk jugs yets (I cut them in half and fill to hold the tads), but now I'm in a pickle. I have to get together a transition enviornment for them asap, but I have no idea how to. When I was little I raised toads, but toads can't clime.... Anyone have any recomindations/websites [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_o_32.gif[/img] I can't beleave how fast it happened, do they form under skin and then pop out or what? Also, they still have their entire tails, how long before they get their lungs and such? Thanks all.

Edit: No, I'm not keeping all 56, lol. I should mention the goal is to release all healthy frogletts into the wild when they are ready
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcie,

There is only one species of grey tree frog. Cope's grey is a totally different species that looks almost identical and the only way to tell a true grey from a Cope's grey is to count chromosomes, not exactly practical for the home hobby herper.

As for your question about the legs, yes the front legs do form in a "pouch" of skin and then pop out.

Best bet for containint the blokes is a terrarium that is half water half earth and fully covered on top. If you can control the temps take a sheet of plexi and cut it to fit the top of the tank drill some small air holes and tape it in place.

Also, FWIW captive raised frogs tend to be stunted in their growth so make sure they are large enought before releasing them back into the wild

'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just noted my topic title is funny... anyhow, yah I just saw Flip (a individual prone to bloat that lives in a drinking glass so I can carefully regulate it's eating) pop one leg out, lol. I can now see little folds of skin on some of the polliwogs so I am guessing they will have legs in frunt soon too. I have never heard the 4N differentiated in it's common name, I'll have to remember that since it makes it easier to comunicate. I have however heard that you can tell the two species by their calls, unfortunettly we have both at my house so I have no idea which these belong to, lol!

As to my frogs size... NOT a problem. Last year I did a bunch of dietary experiments with Triops and discoverd one brand of veggie food that produced incredable growth and longevity [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] I used that with my tadpoles along with some boiled lettiuce to keep them from over eating the rich food and well... they are really big. I'd say they average 1 inch long snout to vent but some are bigger. I've seen young greys around here before and they are smaller then mine I'm actually a little shocked by the whole thing, I think I've only had them about 5 weeks and they went from less then 1cm each to over 3 inches each when you inclued the tail o_O

Thanks for your sugestions, I'll see what I can come up with. Does anyone know about the whole get lungs and adult digestive tract thing? Flip hasn't eaten since the day before yesterday and this afternoon he poped one leg out. His mouth looks likes he is kissing the air, more so then when he was a tadpole and used the flaps to eat. Does the presence of an adult mouth corrispond with the air breathing or not? I though lungs, digestion and frunt legs all happened at once, but that does not seem to be the case because Piggy (a voratious individual that has always been very pail pink and much larger then everyone else) has both it's frount legs and is very frog like (but evil, it has a sharp eye ridge that makes it look demonic, lol), but Piggy has no interest in the top of the water, in fact, all it does is sit at the bottom of the tank er milk jug. It was still eating day before yesterday, but I haven't seen it smack any others away from the food since. Still it seems more developed, but stoped eating a shorter time ago, I don't know, it's confusing.
    There is no item greater in value than life, for without life value would cease to exist.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes the call can be used to but it isn't as accurate. The grey (I think) has a slightly faster (key word there is slightly) call. And the fact that the two species can interbreed giving hybrids just adds to the mix of complications. Like I said, chromosome count is best but it is outside the bounds of most herpers.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I have never heard the 4N differentiated in it's common name
    Not sure what you are saying here but I think you are indicating you were not aware of the 4n chromosome difference between the two species? ? ?

If that is what you are saying you are a bit mistaken. There is not a 4n difference between the two species. If I remember correctly 9and it has been a big since my frog biology readings) Cope's has half as many chromosomes as the typical grey

As for lungs and digestive tracts. Usually when they get their front legs they start surface gasping because thier lungs are developing, however their gills are still functional as well so they don't always head for the surface. The digestive tract doesn't really change that much but once they get a broad mouth they tend to switch from veggies to meat so you might want to suppliment their food offerings with brine shrimp or blood worms or something like that. Don't panick if they stop eating for a period, usually they do that just before final metamorphos, consuming the stores in their tails and living off that. This enables them to adsorb their tail and not be so clumsy when they finally do hit land.
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I new of the 2N and 4N species as seporet by chromosome number, but I only know them by the scientific names, all of my books call both species grey tree frogs Thank you for ansering my mouth question. I had read they stop eating for a few days, but I wasn't expecting them to get frunt legs and THEN stop eating.
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I see, well technically it isn't 2n and 4n. It is that Cope's has 2n=x while Typical has 2n=2x. By saying 4n you are implying that the typical is a polyploid organism which isn't actually the case, each has paired sets of chromosomes.

And I was mistaken on one thing, it is the Cope's that has the slightly faster call

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, you'll have to take up the argument with my books. Everything I have says one is a tetraploid of the other. Versicolor is the origenal, I know that much and it has the slower call.

A new question has arrison, I might have an albino or heavilly diluted individual, has anyone seen this in greys before?
    My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never heard of an albino grey but there are albino horned frogs so it is possible. What colour are they eyes? That is the give away

See You Space Cowboy

Hagerstown, Maryland

--

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast