Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: King snake

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pet store that I get crickets from every week has had a Chain king for 2 years. It hasn't sold because it is very aggressive. I've been watching this snake really close for the last two months. I have notice some really odd behavior for a king snake. While most kings are secretive and try to hide most of the time, this snake seems to have no fear of anything. When I first noticed this snake I would open the cage and put my hand in and she would come straight for me. I would have to keep moving my hand to keep from getting bit. With the cage closed I would put my hand on the screen at top and she would stand up and smell my hand and then open her mouth, like she was trying to get my finger in her mouth. The workers at the pet store were shocked that I was even able to stick my hand in the cage. They told me that none of them could do that with it striking at them. They told me that as it got bigger it kept getting meaner.
    Today I decided to buy it. When I bought it the worker asked if I would pick it up and put it in the box. She didn't want to do it even though she is an reptile expert. Anybody have any tips on how to tame it? Right now I can touch her as long as I don't get near her head.
    I'm sure that her behaviour is at least partly because she has been on display and alot of people have probably mistreated her. I would think that would make her more secretive and have more fear of people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the mistreatment asessment. My California Kingsnake gets the best of everything here, and still is meaner than anything. No matter what you do, she will have her bite of you if she can, very aggressive, sometimes bordering on maniacal. The wife wants to let her go into the wild, but she was cage bred and born. Her over aggressiveness might feed her, but her lack of fear will get her killed for sure. I can handle being bit by snakes,big deal, no thing at all, but my Cal King, "Ringworm", doesn't bite in self defense, she bites because she's nuts. And she will chew and chew just to hurt you. Anybody have a snake psychologist hiding anywhere?? Her biggest problem--she is too beautiful to let go to certain death, and besides, I understand her problems with captive born situations. Like our plants, she has become a dollar sign in someone's eyes, and was treated accordingly. Her mental state is the end result. Take good care of that chain king (always wanted another), and know she may never snap out of that aggressiveness. Then again, lots of TLC may calm her down. Post her pic, Ozzy. I'd love to see her.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I woke up today and checked on her and she was (excuse the pun) mean as a snake. I put my hand in and it starting striking at everything. She was striking at me, at the reflections in the glass, at her hide box, anything that moved or didn't move. I backed off and left her alone for a while. Was this the right thing to do or should I stood my ground and showed her that I wasn't going to be scared off. Right now I don't want to upset her too much, I want to give her time to get use to her new home.
    I will probably have a lot of questions in the near future, this is the first time I have tried to tame a snake that is this aggressive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tame, my butt!! There will be no taming this one. Let her be aggressive, and keep her till she dies, you will be doing her a favor. If she is cut loose, she will be dead in short order. She will be too stupid to know when to run, and when to be afraid.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you don't have to worry about me dumper her. She'll have a home.
    I have to at least attempt to tame her. If I don't at least try, I could be missing out on a great pet. One of my favorite pets was also labled untameable. I just hope that I don't bleed to death from all the bites I'm about to recieve. I'm going to give her a few days before I let the punishment begin. Of course I'm talking about the punishment that she'll be giving me. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't you use something besides a hand...say, another soft object?
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I probably could but she needs to get use to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah someone in the springs was giving one away with an 100 gallon aquarium, but by the time we responded it was gone
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast