What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Turtle

My girlfriend has a painted turtle that she has had now for about 2 years. Over that time his shell in the back where his rear legs come out has turned upward rather than flowing smoothly. Any ideas, if needed I can get a pic. Thanks

I would guess not enough uv light and/or calcium in the diet. You can always post your question on kingsnake.com.

I think that's a result of too much protein, from feeding it too much pellets?

Well I initially thought it to be the cause of lack of calcium put he eats only pellets that say they have all the calcium needed, and he has a UV light to bask uner. But I have never heard that feeding him too much may cause the problem. I thought she did feed him alot but then he did eat it all so I didnt figure it to be a problem.

I was thinking that this happened naturally(I have seen some basking like that), but I am not sure enough to guess.

Joe

I have seen painted turtles in the wild, and have seen that some of them have that "flip" in the rear of the shell, while others do not. May be genetic, but turtles are not my strong suit!

Thanks guys it atleast sounds like something that wont hurt the turtle.

I think it's an issue of aerodynamics.  Air flow across a turtle's shell creates lift when racing against hares and a fast turtle's back feet will begin to lose contact with the ground.  So, like a rear spoiler on a race car, the flip on the back of that shell creates a downforce for maximum power transmission from those churning legs.  It also helps during cornering and keeps a high speed turtle from tumbling off the track.  Your girlfriend's turtle has evolved for speed.

Back