Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Do you keep crickets?

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep crickets, but I don't breed them.. but I have a pretty good idea how it goes, because I knew someone who raised them.. put males and females (females have a stinger-like black ovipositor protruding from their hind end) in a large container with hiding places and anything wet and porus, like oranges or a sponge you can dampen every day. They will lay eggs in that and the baby crickets ("pinheads") are extremely small, so make sure there is a foot or so between the highest climbable object and the top of the container so the pinheads can't reach the top to escape. It's virtually impossible to find a cover that they can't get through without suffocating the crickets, so don't try that. Once the pinheads grow large enough, they can be used to feeding. Also be sure that there's always cricket food or sometimes less expensive tropical fish flakes so they are well fed for the leo.

Good luck!
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the tips.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bruce -

We have an Ambanja Panther Chameleon so we raise both crickets and mealworms. We originaly got him from LLL Reptile in California.

See if your library can interlibrary loan you a book called "Eat This Bug". The Wallingford library bought it when I requested it. The crickets do stink. They grow faster if warm, so we put the tank on top of one of the CP flourescents. The top is open, covered with screen door mesh. In there we keep two 4-inch pots full of potting soil that we make sure stays damp. That's where they lay the eggs. We feed them anything; cheerios, bran flakes, dog food, broccoli, carrots, other veggy scraps, etc.

Do you know of that pet shop, Slither And Swim, in West Haven? They have crickets, waxworms, etc. Thats where we 'kennel' our chameleon when we go on vacation. They are very knowledgeable about reptiles.

Have you guys gone to the reptile shows in White Plains? NY Reptile Expo You can buy boxes of crickets there and I bet your wife and daughter would have a great time.

Bill

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm.. I gotta try those other food options for my crix.. sounds interesting.

Yes, the crix do stink, but after a while your sense of smell becomes unbelievably numb to the stink.. for the four years I've had this leo, I've had the crickets in a ten-gallon glass aquarium in the same room as the leo, in my bedroom. My grandfather swears every time he comes in, it stinks like hell, but I can't smell it, since I spend most of my time in my room (even though the computer is in the living room.. go figure) and I've become totally used to it. Even the constant, loud, breeding-season chirping is tuned out by your brain after a while. They chirp all the time, but I hear it so much I just tune it out completely. I'm used to alot of noise in my room.. two fishtank filters, one air pump, the crickets chirping, Interstate 90 half a block away, and two nights a week, the humming noise of the VCR recording The X-Files for some of the hours between 12 and 6 AM. I just tune it all out. I actually wake up when the power goes out, just from the sheer LACK of noise (even the crickets shut up out of fear of the sudden silence). So apparently the human body can adapt to just about anything and can become so used to something that a lack of that is insanely abnormal.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you might be able to get away with dead crickets. For cp w/o a doubt, but one of the reptile companies makes a vibrating food dish that makes the dead bugs move around enough to get attention.

Cheers,

Joe

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Btw, I think 1 ft for pinheads is any overkill. I bred crickets just for fun and the pinheads stayed in a 6 inch critter keeper just fine. Providing warmth and humidity was more difficult. I fed most of them to the fish.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12