Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you keep crickets?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been wanting a leopard gecko for some time, but can't bear the thought of frequent shopping for crickets or paying more to feed a lizard then I spend to feed the family. So I'm wondering, how difficult is it to maintain a population of crickets?

I've seen sources online that sell them by the box and I've seen descriptions of what they eat and so on. Other than for the risk of year round chirping, are there any other problems to be aware of? If you keep crickets, how do you do it?
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

SirKristoff is a poopiehead Ozzy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't keep crickets unless you have a place outside your house that you can keep them. They stink. I buy 2 dozen small and 2 dozen large crickets every week. I pay $2 for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep crickets in my apartment. I have no problem with smell. I order 2000 crickets a month for my pair of veiled chameleons and my Jacksons chameleons. I keep the crickets in large Tupperware bins that I got at Wal-Mart. I put lots of egg crate in there for them to climb on, a put a few chunks of potato in once a week. I get my crickets from reptiledepot.com; they seem to have the best prices around. Shipping in the winter isn't a big problem, I think they charge a few dollars more and throw in a heat pack. I can keep crickets until I use all of them and they never die. If you looking to keep large crickets you have to be careful because they will die out fast but if you put a dish of wet peat in the bin they will lay eggs and would will have hundreds of pinheads. Hope this helped.
    Nick
    It's like walking out a door and discovering it's a window.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also Buy my crix from reptile depot. I buy 350 a week.

I keep em in the garage. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you could always try mealworms too, thats what i feed mine and they are much cheaper and even easier to keep. I breed my own and it cost like less than a dollar a month, just throw in a potato or carrot or some other fruit or vegatable and you are set. they will breed like mad and before you konw it you will have more than you know what to do with. oh and they dont smell or make noise

i would suppliment with other feeder insects for variety and a balanced diet, but i would do that with crickets too.

Ktulu
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you are fine with heating a large number of sweater boxes to grow out lots of young crickets...then a "culture" might be fine for you. Its pretty much essential if you are keeping something like small frogs which require pinhead crickets.

On A sidenote...adult crickets only live about 2-3 weeks so don't buy more than ukin use.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How warm do crickets need to be? I was thinking I'd keep them in the basement, which drops into the upper 40s in midwinter.

My wife and daughter have been wanting a gecko and I told them it looks like the gecko is the easy one. It's the crickets who are difficult.
    Bruce in CT

Madness is something rare in individuals but in groups, parties, peoples, ages it is the rule. Friedrich Nietzsche

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like 80 degrees or so to keep them breeding. They can be cooled to slow down the lifecycle though.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast