What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rose haired tarantula

Hey guys, Im hopefully gonna be getting a rose haired tarantula soon, and I could use any help possible, on how to care for it

Kirk, try posting in CPUK or PMing Indymental. She has pet tartantulas.

I have one. They are great pets. They don't require much care, don't eat much and make no noise. I have mine in a ten gallon tank. For substrate, I took some peat, wet it and packed it down in the bottom of the tank. I cut a coconut in half, and then cut a door in it for the hide box. Keep a dish of shallow water. Throw one or two crickets a week. Keep the temps at room temp. Keep them in separate tanks. If you break that last rule, it doesn't really matter, the female will eat the male and you'll be back to one spider per cage anyway. That's about it. Just like any pet do some research online before you buy it.
Send Death66 a pm, he's the spidar expert here.

i can have any pet other than any type of "bug". 6 foot pythons in the bedroom, no problem. a chinchilla cage that takes up a 1/4 of the living room, no problem, noisy geese outside, no problem. a joke about getting a tarantula will get me slapped upside the head by Darla EVERYTIME.

Rattler,

I hear you, man. Though I don't think I am allowed the pythons, lol.

Cheers,

Joe

lol Darlas even been bit by one of my lil spotted pythons and she will still mess with them. he got a good hold of her too. good thing he's only bout 3 ft long. she has a mild phobia about bugs though. she hates the cold but the only thing keeping her up here in the great white north is the fact that the further south yah go the bigger the bugs get.
smile_n_32.gif

You got that right. Used to live in NC before moving to Nebraska. We had a Cairn Terrier that would love to chase mice, but down in NC, she would actually chase the cockroaches, as they were 3" or so long!

I owned a male rose hair for quite some time, wish it had been a female, they live MUCH longer. and while your looking at inverts, give Scorpions a try, they are AWESOME!

Here is the best caresheet that is found on the web for Grammastola rosea(Chilean Rose Hair):http://www.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html

Personally, I wouldn't recommend G. rosea as a first tarantula since they tend to be very unpredictable in their habits which can be frustrating for a new keeper. I'd suggest looking at species in one of the following genera......Brachypelma, Aphonopelma(except seemanni), or Avicularia.

I'd also recommend reading at least one of the following books:

The Tarantula Keeper's Guide by Stanley Shultz

Tarantulas and Other Arachnids by Sam Marshall

I maintain a collection of roughly 20 tarantulas and have been for several years. I've been fortunate enough to get one of the rarer color forms of G. rosea which is a female and this picture doesn't do her justice......

rosirnow0077tk.jpg

I had a rose hair. Bought her as an adult and she lived 5 years, that's impressive. Very gentle, doesn't move much and is soft like a puppy
laugh.gif

My Green Bottle blue just molted and sadly, I see that it is a male (I can see the spurs). So it is nearing the end of it's life
smile_h_32.gif
Great creatures, scorpions are even cooler!

Back