Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fire-bellied newts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm also late in responding to this post. Thanks for all your help guys. I'll try to get pics up soon. So far, my newt is still alive, but I can never tell if he eats the pellets or if my toads knock them off the rocks I put them on.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Need to seperate him from the toads immediately. They won't get along and the newt could be injured-not to mention both species produce toxins. I would use something live like blackworms to get the newt to feed.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I thought that fire-bellied newts were the only other amphibian that could live with fire-bellied toads. They have them that way at the pet store that I go to. Are you absolutely sure about this, NFlytrap?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. Check out the site I posted and they have an article in there. While mixing species is possible-combos must be chosen very carefully.
    1 Nxventrata

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

i've always heard that it was wrong to mix those two species but in EVERY pet store I've gone too they always had them together,so I just left mine together,and they were fine.I don't have them anymore.*Niki*
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, just like the garden centres and cp's, pet shops often have help that don't know enough about what they have. A lot of places carry pets as a courtesy, even though their strong point is something else. For instance, the owner or manager knows their birds, but never had anything more than goldfish. They will carry fish, but not know anything about nitrogen cycle or the mixingof certain fish with one another - not unlike putting a cobra lily in encloesd plastic cube with a VFT and / or a D.adelae & P. primukiflora, with very different growing requiements.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed with Jimscott. Also, petstores(and garden centres) are simply mean't to temporarily keep the animals like items on a shelf before they are moved out and sold(usually within a week).
    1 Nxventrata

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a side note, I have kept my fire belly newts and toads together for well over a year. the only problem I had was when I put a particularly small newt in (It got eaten by something). There is also african dwarf frogs and a male beta in the same tank. Everyone has their own area and it's kept on the cleaner side, maybe that's why I haven't got a problem so far?
    Sib

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast