What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snake question

• Thread starter prizmbatch
  • Start date
i have two ball pythons which are both doing great but seeing as how they are almost 4 feet in length i have discovered a problem. i always have a water bowl in the tank (of course) but they seem to always knock it over leaving this great mildew smell. yuck! i need ideas on a 1 a heavier bowl, or 2 a bowl with some sort of suction cups on it so they can't knock it over. thanks in advance for any advice!
smile.gif

good luck, my ball python always knocked over his bowl right after i cleaned his cage. the solution i found, and this only works if you have a cage big enough, is to go to Wally World or similar store and buy a rubbermaid container big enough for one of them to curl up and soak in. now cut a hole in the center of the lid so that they can slither in and out. this way they cant really get enough leverage to accidentally knock it over as the lid will distribute their wieght and the "dish" wont tip over as they slither in the center hole. hope this helps,

What material is the bowl? What material is the enclosure? I have seen acrylic and ceramic bowls, lagged to wooden cage floors. This won't work for glass though

I use very shallow terra cotta bowls.

Ozzy asked a good question. Lots of pet dishes are wider on the bottom than the top, so they can get kicked, but not knocked over completely. Most pet stores have cheap plastic ones of that design. If you are using a normal bowl like a cereal bowl, then I would change to the more conventional pet bowls. If you have that type of bowl and they are still knocking it over, either use rattler's suggestion or put sedatives in their mice....
smile_n_32.gif

Cheers,

Joe

VELCRO!
smile_n_32.gif
That's what I do with my ferrets food bowl that they kept taking off with,so I just velcroed it to the bottom
smile_m_32.gif
*Niki*

Send the ball pythons to a shrink!

I have a ball python myself that I've had for 2 years now and what Ive been using for a water dish is a ceramic plant base that is smooth on the inside so eat's easier to clean. I have a rather big one too because they aren't very deep so it takes up a good bit of space in there for him to soak in if he wants to, but it's still deep enough to hold a good bit of water. It's low enough to the floor in there that their is no way he's going to knock it over. Some of it might spill out a little but he has never knocked it over. By the way, those plant bases make great hidespots for them too if you knock a hole in the sides and turn them upside down.

Ya know they make dishes for big clumsy animals that are wider at the base and just flat out heavy for like Rots, St.Bernards (sp?), Snakes (?)

Joe

P.S. I also helped a friend make a drop in bowl/bath tub that sat lower than floor level so the snake moves across or drops in but no knock over.

Joe

You know in China they eat snake. I wonder what it would taste like? I heard the soup is pretty good (according to my aunt).

generally fairly bland(tastes like chicken
smile_n_32.gif
) not to bad, granted ive only had rattlesnake but i wouldnt think there is a huge variation.

Back