What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have two african clawed frogs

Here's a photo of Squirt and WebFoot-
c634ca55.jpg

Not a great photo but look at the little round well fed belly on Squirt-
46c3ca20.jpg

Looks like some Cabomba floating in the tank.

That filter looks about right, Laura. But I don't understand - why can't you use the filter and my idea at the same time? Those guys are real cuties, BTW - makes me wish I could have my old aquarium and frogs in this apartment (we can have dogs, but no aquariums - arg! I have bettas just to be rebellious.)
~Joe

Hi Steve, I don't recall what it was but there was a tag with that plant when I purchased it and I recall looking it up and finding it was an introduced species causing issues here in the US. Makes no difference to me as it is contained. It is pretty though but I will swap it out for a utric one of these days. I'm thinking the U aurea?

Er uh Joe... it's called laziness. Now I will have to make a second trip back to PetSmart to buy the little mesh floating fry net and then once I am there I will have to remember why I was there. Have you ever gone to a store specifically to pick up an item and gotten side tracked and walked out without what you came to purchase to begin with? That is PetSmart and I always get hung up in that store playing with the baby rats and looking at the fish and such. And then there are the cats that are up or adoption so I have to mosey on over there to take a peek and well... you get the idea.

Ah yes... I should have known. That's quite the problem for me as well. :)
~Joe

Laura, I think its the moseying. Mosey too much, and it has an adverse affect on the brain, taking you to places you have never been to before. Has a tendency to cause forgetful moments, leading to "senior moments". Stop moseying, and you can cure yourself. Calms down ROFLMAO as well!!

Well, I have a thing for rats.  They are such gentle, loving, and intelligent creatures and every time I go to PetSmart I get this urge to outfit every classroom at the school with a pet rat to avoid them ending up inside a snake. I'm afraid I am hopeless.  Now add all those older adult cats they offer for adoption to the equation and my brain goes to mush.  Hopeless I tell you!  Hopeless.  Wanna pet rat?  My treat!

I'd remove that cambomba. It doesn't look like you have the light so it might not last too long for ya. See if you can get ahold of java moss or whatnot.

U. gibba is hated by many planted tank aquarists. Since I do both, I dislike U. gibba in my planted tanks but I don't have the heart to exterminate it. Theirs always a small amount wandering through the tank. My main grudge is that(thinking with a nonconservational bounty hunting mind
smile_l_32.gif
) that the U. gibba are competition for the fish fry that appear in the tank as they trap food that te fish would otherwise eat.

Any flaw in this reasoning?

The camboba is an oxygenator and I'd like to be able to keep it in there. So far it is doing fine and has not gone to plant heaven but one never knows what may happen in the months to come and it is not receiving any direct sunlight.

The U. gibba is indigenous to my area so it will survive outside in a pond and the U. inflata should survive outside also.

The U. aurea was the plant I was thinking of adding to this little tank.  What would you recommend?  By the way, thanks for the suggestion of Vesicularia dubyana.  That's a hard plant to kill and I bet it would do great in there with the little frogs.

As far as your reasoning, I'm not qualified to comment. I've seen plants in environments where people have said, "No way".  On the other hand, I've seen plants fail that for all practical purposes should have been growing as if they were planted next to a nuclear power plant with trace elements of Miracle Grow in the rain drops. Sometimes there is just no rhyme or reason as to why some plants make it and some don't.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Wanna pet rat? My treat!
sure! send it to:
293 oak drive, apt G
winston, PA 29434

(fake adress lol)
but hey... i have a guineapig!

Gotta PayPal account?  Rats are cheap, I'll send you the money to purchase one.  Once you go rat... you never go back!  Rats are much more affectionate than squeeling guinea pigs that don't particularly like to be held.

Try one..... you'll like it!

Laura: Then again, don't all plants oxygenate
smile_n_32.gif
?

In fact, having too many plants can cause problems. As you probably know already, plants respire when in light conditions too low for photosynthesis. As a result, this can cause significant stress to fish in ponds or aquariums with little water turbulence yet lots of plants.

Dunno how big your tank is but if you want a species that stays small perhaps look into African dwarf frogs.

lol... more affectionate than guineapigs? chubby (my guineapig) loves my mom and walks up to ther feet just to be rubbed and then when she comes in from work he squeals his little lungs out, when he gets "lost" in the house he also does that :p
but of course... me being as evil as I am (LOL... i'm the only one who catches him to get him back on his cage... and I don't give him lettuse as much) he just ignores me most of the time
blues.gif

Actually, some water plants are considerably better than others. Marginals, floating, shallow, and deep water plants don't oxygenate any where near as well as the submerged classes of water plants do.

Yes, too many plants can be a cause of concern too. The wrong types of plants can be an even greater cause for concern for many species of fish too.

Tee he, funny you should mention frogs... look back a page in this thread.

OH my gosh, I missed your post AW.

I'll pit our Roxie the rat up against your guinea pig any day! Does your guinea pig give kisses and clean your ears for you? How about grooming your eyebrows? Huh, come on now fess up! My niece puts Roxie in a Barbie corvette. Can your guinea pig drive a nice pink remote controlled corvette? Thought not. I must admit when Jacob put her in the GI Joe tank that she didn't come out for a little bit. Rats rule guinea pigs drool.

Oh my gosh AW! I just followed your www and saw photos of your guinea pig. If that isn't the cutest little thing. What a little sweetie. I'll concede you win in the beauty department. Roxie is just a plain old hooded rat but she is a good natured loving and extremely tolerant little thing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Jan. 29 2005,10:05)]Actually, some water plants are considerably better than others. Marginals, floating, shallow, and deep water plants don't oxygenate any where near as well as the submerged classes of water plants do.

Yes, too many plants can be a cause of concern too. The wrong types of plants can be an even greater cause for concern for many species of fish too.

Tee he, funny you should mention frogs... look back a page in this thread.
The species you currently have looks to be Xenopus laevis-but that one grows quite large...to around 5-6 inches. Hyemnochirus stay small.
smile.gif

LOL! did I mention his name is chubby?
I'm gonna post some new pics... i haven't really updated my site in a while.
just about the only thing i hate about chubby is his digestion. he eats a LOT, poops a LOT, and pees too.

Great name but he didn't look chubby to me at all! Go ahead and update your site and let me know and I'll go take a peek. Really neat that you know how to update sits and all. I had to have my girlfriend's husband do a web page for me and now if something changes, I have to send him an e-mail to change it. I feel so bad doing that to him but I am so computer illiterate it isn't even funny.

Back