Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My poor leo

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok i took my leopard gecko to the vet the otherday and after an x-ray was taken it appears her stomach is swolen. we believe it may be a partial obstruction and he advised me to give her mineral oil twice a day(.1cc) The obstruction is likely due to calci-sand, which by the way is not digestable like they say. i was wondering if anyone else has had this happen and if there is anything else i should do. I would like this to pass natrually so if anyone else has any other ideas please let me know.

Thanks,
    Ktulu
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try letting it swim around in some warm water. i wouldn't feed it for awhile.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Mar. 14 2005,1:06)]try letting it swim around in some warm water. i wouldn't feed it for awhile.
    hahaha, yeah i tried the warm water once, turns out leopard geckos will attempt to fly, you would be suprised how high a leo can jump. As for the feeding it is nto a complete blockage and some stuff does pass through so i think having her not eat is worse than haveing her eat a little, though i have considerably cut back what she gets.
    "We're terrible animals. I think that the Earth's immune system is trying to get rid of us, as well it should." - Kurt Vonnegut

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My mom used to have a leo, and the same thing happened.. unfortunately, the fact that the leo had a massive intestinal impact wasn't acknowledged until too late, and he died. He was a weak hatchling from the start, so he couldn't hunt his crickets, so he resorted to staying in his cave all the time and actually eating the sand for weeks.

I would say the only thing you CAN do is use the mineral oil and try this... I know you said she hates the water, but it seems like it would help alot right now. Fill a container with about an inch or so of lukewarm water and hold her in there if you have to, with her head above the water, and I'm thinking that maybe making sure her feet touch the bottom would make her a little more comfortable, and if not, she'll get used to it eventually. Let her sit in there for a few minutes (I don't remember the exact amount of time you should do this, because it's been a while since I did it, but try about 10 minutes), then take her out, dry her off, and massage her belly with your fingers for a little while. This should help to loosen up her tract and may help her pass the sand.

Good luck, and keep us posted!!

P.S. I'm going to add a warning against calci-sand in my caresheet, since apprently this is happening alot with calci-sand.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Calci-Sand is only digestable by adults with the natural bacterias in their system which most lack in captivity. They conveniently don't make that clear cause otherwise you'd have to buy another product (something baccillus) I always used a mix of large gravel and coco chunk (small - 1/4" peices) they are alot less likely to accidentally or intentionally swallow this.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use English crushed walnut shell, which is labeled for birds usually, but my leo never swallows it, because apparently it's real bitter... he spends as long as he needs to to spit out every particle of that stuff if he gets it in his mouth. It's funny. Well, at least he's not gonna swallow it!
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've used it before and noticed the same thing I was just concerned that it was still small enough to be swallowed.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never had this problem when I kept and bred Leopard Geckos.
    Mine ate the sand but never got any blockage. Usually they eat the sand when trying to get minerals that they are lacking from there diet, usually calcium. I placed a bowl of reptical in my tanks and the Leopard Geckos would eat the powder out of the bowl. There was also some kind of calcium / vitamin liquid I used to mix in there water bowl as well.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast