What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lookin for black or red widow spiders

Yeah, or a pair if possible. I know........people who live around 'em could care less but I don't have rattlers, scorpions, widows ......nothin but garters and and long legs.
biggrin.gif
snakes and the spider that is.

Joe

lol Joe, i cant believe yah dont have much. heck geographically you aint that far from me. heck im up on the tundra and have a decent selection
smile_n_32.gif

The city makes a huge difference too. Griffin says they have tree frogs down in Lincoln and I know they do in CB,IA but not in Omaha. They have rattlers out in the sandhills but not here.

Joe

I have desert hairy scorpions, and a whole gang of nasty big spiders, and tarantulas around my house! If anyone has seen a female banded gecko around. I will trade
Dionaea forms!
smile_n_32.gif

well then get out of the city! heck i live in a town of 4000 and i live up at the lake for most weekends during the summer. so anything else yah want me to keep an eye out for? ive already got one request for a sun spider, very cool arachnids but only live a year or two as far as i know. nasty looking things but non-venomous.

I can't leave the city, I am true city boy. Besides around here the city is cheaper. Country living is for the folks with a bit more money. All I want are widows.

Joe

alright. ill have to look online to see what the males look like so i can try to get yah a pair. dont care much for cities myself. we travel enough that i have decided its not for me. Calgary, Minniapolis, Denver, ill be in St. Louis in May. fun to visit but i think ill stick to Montana. i enjoy my "country life". ill do my best to find yah a pair. not like i wont be flipping boards anyways. i found an albino bullsnake some years back, before i was into snakes enough to know what i had. im determined to find another
smile_n_32.gif

tell me if you find a prarie kingsnake. I love those!
smile_n_32.gif

I will be looking for your spiders as well joe!

no prairie kingsnakes up here. there are pale milksnakes in the south central part of the state but they are listed as a species of concern so i wouldnt mess with them even if they were local, same with western hognoses.

lucky! I have ugly snakes down here! lol

no shortage of lizards though!!
my grandma in NC has snakes all over the place! I recently took home a juvie black rat snake.

Montanas bullsnakes are just incredible! I used to love finding them outside of Great Falls, Mt. Plains garter snakes in abundance, and so pretty. I had to go all the way to Rapid City, South Dakota before I found a pale milksnake. WHOA!!!! What a beauty!! I was glad to move where I could find kingsnakes in abundance, and red diamond rattlesnakes, Southern Pacific rattlers (helleri), Mojave greens, Speckled , dang!, name it! Southern California was reptile country bigtime! Loved Arizona for reptiles too. But, CP were my first love, and still are. Now I only have 1 Cal King, and 2 Desert Kingsnakes, and that is enough for now.
I noticed in my Google search that the last name for the Northern widow was changed from nortensis to something else. The spiders I found in 1961 were actually unknown to many of the people I talked to in Montana. One gentleman said if I could find more than one black widow in a day, he'd give me Ten bucks. I brought him 10 spiders, and got the money. He couldn't believe that we had widows in Montana! Even more exciting was the radio station in Great Falls, KUDI. Don't even know if they exist anymore. I told a disc jockey he had BW spiders in the back of his station, and he outright called me a liar. And said so over the air. During one song, he left his seat, went out back with me, and opened the door to the cellar under the radio station. His jaw dropped to his knees when he saw the number of spiders he had hanging in their webs going down the cellar entrance. At least 7 PHAT pregnant females. He went back to his seat inside the station, and publicly apologized to the little kid who proved him wrong. That was a fun day for me. I was eleven at the time.

you mean these lil guys?
585dae92.jpg

583e9bb8.jpg

1db074fc.jpg

for size referance, first picture the squares are approx 7-8inches on a side. the bullsnake in my hand in the bottom pic was about 6-6.5 feet long

de196087.jpg

i think the final desition on this guy was a locale of the red-sided garter that doesnt have the red sides

I don't know, rattler. The pic isn't the best, but it looks like an intergrade. The backstripe looks orange, and the half-moon crescent behind the head (at least it looks like one) is indicative of the plains garter. I love those bullsnakes! Would love to have another! Found one, killed by my big brother, with a length of 7.5 feet! Pretty much as big as they get. Nice pics just the same, and better than any pic I have at present. I love the heavy build on them. They make their western cousins, the gopher snake, look sick by comparison. Thanks, rattler! You have made my day.

ive lost my good pics. these are from 3 years ago. i had better quality ones at one point and spent a week with a garter nut before we decided it was just a wierd locale specific color morph of the red-sided. the ones from the south side of the Missouri look normal, this guy is from the north side of the river. ill see if i can find the population again and get better pics.

gotta love those bulls, by far one of my favorite snakes.

Very strong and heavily built snakes to be sure. I absolutely love them. The Eastern Pine is built the same way. Out here, the gopher snakes are medium build though very strong. The four parietal scales are a dead giveaway.

I only have elaphe at the moment. nothing extraordinary at the moment.

Back