What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lookin for black or red widow spiders

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
I have always loved Black and Red Widow spiders but they are not found here. Anyone have them?

Joe

are you serious? so yah have any clue what its like to take a good hit from one of those lil buggers. nowadays it probly wont kill yah but for a good 12 hours you will wish it had. i can probly find yah a couple when i hike and camp this spring and summer. i generally carry a camera so i usually have a spare 35mm case laying around i can scoop one into.

If ya could i would love it. Yeah, I know but I've never taken a bite from one and it'll stay that way. All my life I've loved Black Widows, I even have one tattooed on my forearm.

Joe

lil chilly yet but ill start checking the scrap piles by my house in a few weeks. havent found one in awhile but generally when im flipping boards im looking for snakes not pea sized spiders. ill keep my eyes open just for you
smile_n_32.gif

btw if someone else offers yah some get 'em. widows arent terribly common up here. just common enough that i find them now and than. i find solifugid much more often but then they are a bit more active and about 3 times larger.

I live in nevada! Birthplace of the Black Widow! Lol. I'll tell ya if I see any. I see about 14 everytime I go for a walk at night looking for banded geckos.

I just killed 2 big fat ones
smile_n_32.gif
I can't stand them. I see them, I kill them.

There's an outbreak of Marburg virus in Africa, so maybe you can try to get some of that too. Then go back and read Ozzy's possibly authentic story again.

?? whats that for Bruce? plenty of ppl keep spiders. when i was heavy into snakes i knew more than a few arachno-nuts that had widows along with the usual assortment of big hairy spiders. Joes' old enough to make his own desitions and i know he wont hold me accoutable if he gets nailed as long as i package them right, wez got history. granted anyone under 18 asking for me to find them one would be out of luck.

I've seen all kinds of pets, but looking for a black widow is kind of like looking for a cobra. There's some thrill, but maybe it would be better to get something a little less notorious and just watch the animal channel now and then.

I have always loved the widow spiders. They are common pets among the spider collectors. I want a Red Widow and a Western Black Widow.

BTW, Thanks Rattler let me know anything you see.
Joe

lol Bruce there is a huge difference between a widow and a cobra. ill catch a widow without a second though, quite hard to get bit if you know they are there. you aint getting me near any one of the Naja species unless there is glass between us. and thats coming from a flow blown snake nut that has relocated dozens of rattlers. alot of true cobra have a perminent chip on their shoulder and REALLY dont take kindly to being cornered.

We had a lot of black widows around when I was a kid in Mississippi and they sure are beautiful animals.  But, as Ozzy's probably true story shows, creepy-crawlies have some image issues and trouble can happen because of it.  People are afraid of what they don't know and, the more ignorant and scared people are, the more easily they're manipulated.

I started collecting black widows in Great Falls, Montana long ago. Every out house in the country had a widow web in it. Right where you sat down! The northern Black Widow (Latrodectus mactans ssp. nortensis) is not much different from any other black widow except that the hourglass is not connected as is found in the black widows all over California. We have really big ones here. HUGE!!! Leg spans of 3" are not uncommon. I have handled them safely for many years. Knowing how is the key to not getting bitten. Watching them making egg cases is fascinating. I don't need to collect them anymore though. There all over the place.

Hey Bug,
Haven't seen ya on in a while.

I don't plan to handle them at this time, but I have been told and read they are generally docile and most bites are from sitting on them or shoes and things like that. Ever seen a Red Widow? That is a cool lookin spider. I've got Daddy Long legs every where her but AH just not the same.

Joe

We have brown widows here too. Brownish body and a gold hourglass on the bottom. And not nearly as dangerous as the black widow.

I have seen very colorful widows in Florida. They were red, with yellow, white, and black "spots" with no well formed hourglass on the belly. Beautiful and deadly combo. I am not sure if this is the red you refer to, but if not, it is a close second.

While I would never keep one as a pet(squish them faster or admire from distance) I agree they are beautiful creatures. Is the smaller widow species that isn't considered dangerous but still bears remarkable resemblance to real widows around ever?

Brown Widows are around, Southern states I beleive.

Joe

I have the western blacks. I will try 2 catch one 4 ya. You want a female I suppose, right?

Back