What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dart frog vivariums

anyone have any guidence?

Darla is insisting on some Dendros this year, i get snakes, she wants pretty frogs, fair trade i think. anyways we are probably going to set up to tanks for 2 species. Darla is dead set on azureus so we will get a pair of them. i like tincs and auratus and havent desided which i REALLY want. anyways i have a decent number of plants to start with but what all extras really need to be done? the tanks will be 20 gals i was thinking of an automated misting system(an aquarium pump sitting in a 5 gal bucket and plumbed into the tanks with holes drilled to let the tanks drain on their own. i will pick up the tanks in 2 weeks. the azureus will be ready from a semi-local breeder in 3 months which will let their tank grow out. when i get the other frogs will deped on when the tank is ready and when i decide on what i want. anyways any major does and donts from your personal experiances?

out of curiosity. i have been thinking of using my 75 gal tank that currently houses some plants. if i was able to get the glass cleaned up nicly i would like to use it. does any one think there will be a proble putting 2 azures and 2 tincs in the same tank if they have that much room?or does this fall under the heading of very bad idea and i should throw in a divider?

hey rattler, i have a lone auratus if your interrested. its in good health and i believe its a female. lemme know

-josh

Check the magazine "Reptile" from a few months back. There is an article by Ron Gagliardo of ABG on how they set up there dart frog tanks. It is really a nice set up. If you can not find it drop me a PM or email and I can probably talk you thru it.

what color form of auratus is it?

i had a pair of dart frogs for about a year. my tank was ultra simple which made me clean it constantly, and untimely why i adopted them out to a friend. they were in an 80 gallon tank. pebbles slanted on bottom, pump on low end in the corner, fountain on the other. plants & wood crammed from floor to ceiling, coconut shell as home base. the tank received a fair amount of light (two hours direct min, the rest indirect) so i didn't bother with a heating or lighting system. prolly the main reason i had so much algae cleanup. plants were mostly vines (swiss cheese etc.) and that lucky bamboo.
i never got into the scientific names but i had one blue guy, ike, and one yellow, banshee. they got along well.
their diet was one-winged fruit flies i breed myself. i received the recipe for the fly food from a tattooist who breed the frogs. his place was really impressive. reptiles every color of the rainbow. quite a few illegal ones in there to i imagine.
-julie

ike
ike.jpg

Back