What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I just got a resuced Northern fence lizard. I was told it was a western but I'm think it's a Northern. I wasn't told that it had any problems but when I got it home I took a close look at it and one eye has some kind of growth. It covers her eye completely. The other eye appears to be closed. It can open it somewhat, but when she does I can't get a good look at her eyeball. It seems to be either slightly sunk in or maybe there is some growth or something in her eye.

She seems to have a similar growth on her anus as she has on her eye.

The rescue group I got her from is a german shepard rescue. SO they know nothing about reptiles. I don't know how long they have had her, but she was kept in an aquarium in a big window. No heater of any kind. No basking light or anything. The substrate seems to be some type of mulch. They have been feeding her small dusted meal worms.

Do you guys have any idea what's wrong or what I need to do. Do you think she has some type of fungus?

She really don't seem very happy. But she's looks like she's strong and well fed.

Lack of Vitamin A? Or it could be fungal growth. Sounded like the humidity was way too high, so there could be respiratory infections as well. ALSO, (sighs) there could be a case of MBD(metabolic bone disease) since the sun she was recieving came from the window (glass filters UVA/UVB). You said that she was recieving dusted worms? Try to give her some crickets or waxworms instead. They are easier to digest. Can I see some pics of the growth.
Fungal Infection on Monitor.
Yellow Fungus in Bearded Dragons
Check out these links to confirm fungal infection.
Sunken eyes mean dehydration also!
Dehydration in Reptiles and how to treat it
go to this link to learn about that.

Hope this helps! ALex

I'll try to get some pics but I'm not very good at taking really close up pics.
Thanks for the help.

ouch! They definatley didn't take good care of that lizard! I am sorry to say but unless that little guy is eating, he doesn't look like he is going to make it. A vet treatment would cost hundreds of dollars. He looks really bad.
smile_h_32.gif

Well, the weight of the lizard looks really good, so I would not say "total neglect."
 I have never seen anything like that. Is she eating for you?
 I would try a little soaking in luke warm water to try and get the dead skin off, so you know what's skin and what is not with the white stuff.

Cheers,

Joe

yeah, maybe a nice bright heat lamp, food, and a place to hide will make her come around. I just hope she eats.

I really don't have a lot of hope for her. Since I got her late yesterday, today was the first time I have had to watch to see how she acts. All she does all day is just lay there. I got her a heat lamp. I got rid of the mulch and got new corn cob bedding. I cleaned the tank and everything in it with bleach water.
I took it to a petstore, and had somebody there look at it to get her opinion. She said that the growths look like scabs. It looks like maybe they were scatched and now have scabbed over. She said it looks like waste have gotten stuck and she can't pass it. She put some turlte eye drops in her eyes, and told me to soak her in warm water. She told me to give her pedilyte, and mix can dogfood with water. I have never heard of giving them dog food mixed with water but, I guess it can't hurt.
I'll keep you informed on how it turns out.

Well it looks like this may not even be a fence lizard. Thanks to the people at kingsnake.com, they id'ed it as a curly tailed lizard. After reading up on some info about them I am sure that is what I have.

Now an update, He has seemed to move a little more, I think the he may be impacted. After soaking him in warm water hasn't loosened anything up, I've decided that if I don't do something drastic he'll die. I am in the process of trying to pull the matter out with tweezers. I have removed some of it and I'm letting him soak some more right now to loosen the matter up a little more. I have been trying to feed him but he doesn't want to eat. I think he's getting a little bit of fluid and dogfood down. He is very fiesty. He'll take off runnig when you try holding him. He bites the syringe when I feed him. I sure hope he doesn't get ahold of my finger, it looks like he can bite really hard and he doesn't let go.
Well that's where it stands right now. I still don't think he'll make it.

i thought it didnt look quite what i remember fence lizards look like but its been ears since ive seen one and i had only seen one species/subspecies

I've never even seen a fence lizard that I remember. Easterns are native to the part of NC, and I remember seeing many different kinds while I was there, but I didn't know what they were.

i had a cousin that lived in Reno NV that brought me up a couple westerns up when he would come up during the summers when i was younger

Good news, He took a big giant dump.
smile.gif

Now how do I get him to start eating again?

dont know Ozzy, do you have easy access to a variety of bugs? you could prolly do a lil collecting trip in your yard and see if you cant come up with a few things to see if you can get his interest up. may just be that the standard fair doesnt itnerest him at the moment.

A bigger problem is his eyes. He can't see at all.

good question. not real sure, never been much into lizards. you said he has a heck of a bite. maybe tease him with a cricket till he gets mad enough to bite and see if he realizes its food?

You could always put a wax worm in some tweezers and press it agains his mouth, though I have a feeling you are going to have to force feed.

I have already been force feeding. I already tried the cricket trick. It just hung half way out of his mouth until he decided to spit it out.

try ripping the abdomen off of the cricket and smear the liquid on his mouth. Worked for my frilled that wouldn't eat. He then ate the abdomen.

Back