What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Snake pics

• Thread starter Ozzy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    death

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
Well, I had to go to NC for a death in the family last week and while I was there I got some very cool pics of snakes.

This is the canebrake rattlesnake. It was pretty friendly to be a rattlesnake.

canebrake2.JPG

Here is one of two copperheads that I found.

copperhead1.jpg

Here's the other.

copperhead2.jpg

My favorite the Eastern Diamondback.

easterdiamondback.JPG

I've been watching Austin Stevens snakemaster so I posed the snake for the next pic. I got right in his face and took this pic just like Austin Stevens does.

easterdiamondback5.JPG

easterdiamondback6.JPG

Here's a couple of ribbon snakes that I disturbed.

ribbon.JPG

I'm guessing that the next snake is a racer. It wasn't black but more of a smokey grey. I was going to get closer to it but as soon as I took this pic it charged me. It chased me quite a ways before I got away from it.

racer.JPG

Here's another snake that I think is a racer. It didn't seem to like being photograghed either.

ratsnake1.JPG

The next rest of the pics, I'm not quite sure what they are. See if you guys can tell me.

This snake seemed to be pretty friendly.

unknown1.jpg

The next two pics are the same snake.

unknown2.JPG

unknown2(1).JPG

I first thought the next snake was a rattlesnake but it didn't have a rattle. It did shake it's tail when I got too close though.

unknown5.jpg

Nope, no zoom, I used my kodak easyshare 3.1.

Like I said, I've been watching Austin Stvens.
smile.gif

Does he tell people not to try this at home?
smile.gif

Just messing with you... amazing (and a little unsettling, living one state away) that you found all those different snakes. Just hope you know how to stay out of harm's way.

The mystery snake is an Egyptian cobra escaped from someone who found it in kingsnake.com. Are copperheads always that light colored in that area?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Egyptian cobra escaped from someone who found it in kingsnake.com

What do you mean?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Here's a couple of ribbon snakes that I disturbed.
You mean rough green snakes? :p ribbon snakes are brownish colored.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]This is the canebrake rattlesnake. It was pretty friendly to be a rattlesnake
in NC??? is there another name for it?
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The next two pics are the same snake.
black rat snake

So what facility did you take them at.

nice pics Ozzy, some of those racers seem to have a chip on their shoulder. sharp teeth too, no fun getting nailed
smile_n_32.gif

Alpha, cant you see its a smooth green snake, not a ribbon(which have stripes for future referance Oz
smile_m_32.gif
).....ive seem one of those before they are definatly smooth not rough. nasty personalitys too

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]in NC??? is there another name for it?

Canebrake rattlesnakes are definitely found in NC...and I think that is a rough green snake. (I'm not sure smooth green snakes are found in NC)  And the two pics do look like a black rat snake to me (getting ready to shed, maybe)

That last one looks like a boa to me! LOL

nope it is most definatly a smooth green snake ill have to look and see if its the eastern or western subspecies though, never kept one not all that familiar with the subtle differences between the subspecies or races, not sure which it is

hmmmmmmmm leaning twords eastern, dont ask me why. distinct neck, coffin shaped head, scales arrent keeled, definatly a "smooth green snake" not a chance its a rough green snake

about the greenskake-
smooth green snakes aren't found in north carolina... and how the hell can you tell if they have keeled scales or not? the pic's too blurry for that.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Canebrake rattlesnakes are definitely found in NC
...unless it's either a pygmy (not), timber (not sure what they look like but I doubt it's like that), eastern diamondback (not), coral snake, cottonmouth, or a copperhead, it's not a venomous snake native to north carolina.

Canebrake is a subspecies of the timber rattlesnake.

BY the way here is a rough green snake.

rough.jpg

OZ! I looked at the pics, and I know what they are. They are SNAKES! I like'em!!! And my desert kingsnakes, and my California kingsnake, and our garter snakes, etc.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I first thought the next snake was a rattlesnake but it didn't have a rattle. It did shake it's tail when I got too close though.
That could very well have been a rattlesnake Ozzie.
In Costa Rica there is a widely distributed rattlesnake that is responsible for the death of many coffee bean pickers.  The Cascabelle Mura (silent rattlesnake) has rattles but the bones (not proper terminology) that make the sound are fused together and it makes no noise.  It stands its ground when disturbed but with no sound, an unsuspecting person has no warning and usually gets bitten.
When we opened camp one year I encountered one in my cabin.  They are amazingly aggressive, he would not back down and you could see his tail moving like crazy.  Sharing sleeping quarters with him was NOT an option.
His 4.5' skin hangs on my den wall.

Alpha, trust me i know what im talking about i have kept snakes for years. there is no way that thing is a rough green snake. native or not its definatly a "smooth green snake"

Ozzy, very nice pic of the rough green snake, much prettier than its cousins not as common though i dont think

Back