Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turtles, fish, cleaning, plants to put in tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turtles can eat fish. Small goldfish or guppies. But if you are wanting them to never eat them I would get then at a larger size. I don't think a Pleco would be good unless you have a heater? I don't see a reason for a algae eating fish if your getting a filter anyways, it won't help that much. A filter would be a big help in your problem. As I know turtles are VERY dirty. You good even try some ghost shrimp in there, small and cheap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i cleaned the tank on friday and today its murky again. I had no idea how dirty they are... and most people take them out of their tanks to feed them in a feeding pan, but unless you keep them in their for awhile they still poop in the bigone... They are cute though. If i put my hand in there, 2 of them will swim and climb up. The other two are more shy. funny how they can have such personalities.

My concern now that i have read more about water quality is that i am afraid to put plants in and they will die. and same with the fish, if the nitrate content is off. Or if their isn't enough CO2 in the water. Adding fish and plants will add a greater responibility on my part to make it conducive to them since they are the weaker link.

I did find a CO2 natural plant system filter from Hagen i might try. but need to see how it sets up with a filter... heating isn't a problem. I live in Florida. and i have a flourescent going almost 24/7. To set this up right i see outlaying a few hundred bucks... so they might have to suffer a couple more weeks...

thanks,
    jojo

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn't thoroughly read what Bobby (biggun110) wrote, but if it was mentioned about the nitrogen cycle, that is an important concept to consider. In a nutshell, critters produce toxic wasteproducts (ammonia). There is bacteria (nitros-amonas, for grins and chuckles) that breaks down the ammonia into still toxic nitrite. Then nitro-bacter bacteria breaks down the nitrite into realtively harmless nitrate. But this takes time, several weeks, in a typical fish tank. When people buy a typical 10 gallon set up and are bent on putting fish in there the next day, after adding Declor for the chlorine, they are setting themselves up for failure, because the Nitrogen Cycle hasn't had the opportunity to do its thing and the tank is then overwhelmed with toxins. We see the cloudy water and that's the "good" bacteria beginning to work, but it is too much too fast. The "good" bacteria forms on the filtering medium and it just takes time. So normally, what one does is buy one fish or turtle or... and let it produce ammonia so it gets the bacteria going. A little waste is what we want - not too much. There are also test kits that can be purchased to monitor the progress of the cycle.

So basically, let the tank get through with the nitrogen cycle first, with just the turtles, and then slowly add other living things.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12