What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red ear slider

Hey all, long time no type. ;)

I have a baby red ear slider, got her before she was an inch in the shell, now she's a little larger than an inch, but not by much. A few weeks ago (2-3?) I noticed she was getting scared suddenly and trying to hide. A few days later i noticed that she was swimming backwards, in circles and lopsided. I assumed that this was from pneumonia or another respiratory infection/disease. I raised the water temp up to 90f or so, and she went from lopsided to just not being able to dive. Sometimes she tries so hard to dive she just ends up swimming around on her back. Cute as it is to see her do a back stroke, and eat upside down, it's just not right. Her appetite is as strong as ever, and she still gets out of the water to bask, but still very skittish of any movement at all. The littlest shadow makes her frantically try to dive, which just never happens.

So my question to all of you, any idea what i should do next?

Uhhh...go see a vet.

Uhhh...thought of that one. Was looking for a little more of an idea of what might be going on, thanks though. Besides, my area is basically plastered with dog/cat vets, and the nearest reptile vet is a very long long walk away.

Only thing i can come up with so far is to leave her dry docked daily and just let her swim/soak for 30 mins in the morning and at night to eat and rehydrate. This way if there's any fluid in her lungs which is causing the buoancy problem then hopefully it'll get a chance to drain or absorb since she's not spending all day/night in the water because she's scared.

Back