Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Breeding! leos

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At a temp around 85 degrees, you will almost get an equal number of males and females.
    Where these the first one's of the season? I have had a large failure rate of the first clutches my leos laid in the past when I bred them. Also if your leo is too young they will not be fertile eggs.
    Also you said about holding the egg up to the light. Do not rotate or tilt the eggs once they are laid. Keep them in the same position when you transfer them to your incubator. Rotating or tilting the eggs can kill the embryo inside the egg.
    I kept my vermiculite just damp when incubating the eggs, and misted the eggs and all when it was getting dry.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mold? That sucks! I breed Banded Geckos and I have 6 eggs in my incubator! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] The humidity is always 60%. I keep em on damp vermiculite.

no hatchlings yet, 18 more days!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, mold, I think.... like little hairs. I kept the perlite damp, but not 'watery'. This is so dissapointing. They look good in those pics, and now they don't look like that. Does that mean I messed up or can unfertile eggs look bad at a later date? When she laid last year, unfertile bc young, they were way obvisous it was unfertile at time of laying. And her age is 1 year and 6 months. Same as the male. And yes this was her first eggs of the 'season/year'. And no I didn't tip them or anything.

='(

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is true that unfertile eggs tend to mold easier than fertile ones. A way to check if they are fertile: hold them up to a flashlight, and if you see red veins, then they are fertile!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there any hope left?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aw nvm guys. I just did the flashlight and.. nothing. Poor girl. They looked pure empty.

::tear::

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if she is very old, that may be the cause of infertile eggs.

at least you know that a baby leo didn't die.

[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

better luck next time

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess what!!

Wow, I'm excited. My Star laid more eggs yesterday morning and man she had a rough time. But she laid two, and I did the flashlight thing, and one looks fertile! Deff! Woohoo, he finally ::ahum:: yeah.

Anyways, I walked in on them two mating today. First time I've caught em. She was so mad, because I turned the light on not knowing. She jumped at the tank at me. Ah, well. Anyways, why would only one be fertile? The other looks like the first batch.

Oh and she didn't have a smooth time this last. Seems like she's loosing a lot of weight with all this laying and breeding. What do I do? Double feed her? And no I'm not doing pinkies.

My 'homemade' incubation setup didn't quite work well last time. Eventhough they were infertile. Any ideas? My room stays around 80-86, never really lower or higher. Could I just put them in a deli cup and such and put down in a box and put somewhere dark until time? I read some people just set on shelves. Right now they are in a deli cup(perlite) and beside there heater. No mold or anything. =)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast