Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Breeding! leos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so I have 2 Leopard Geckos, I got them 1.5years ago and ones male and the other is female. They both have always lived together and do fine. They live in a 15gal long btw. Anyways, she has eggs. Last year about this time she laid 2 clutches, and neither were fertile. But now they might be. I wasn't expecting this at all. She ALWAYS wants to mate, and he just walks away being dumb. But I would love to continue this. Well, I do not have the money to buy an incubator. So I was looking at all this homemade ideas. The most famous seems the fishtank, but I don't get it. I have a rather hot bedroom, and it's usally around 80*. If I put a small light in a small tank/keeper with the eggs and keep the temp right and humdity. Why can't I just do that? Or why don't people suggest UTH in a small indiviual tank? Why do you have to have foam, or this warm water. Please give me advice. She looks as she'll have them anytime, I see 2. And what's best, verm or perlite?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised Elgecko (Steve) hasn't seen this topic. I think he would know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Steeeeeeeve

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah Steve!

get in here. I have two eggs as well only a few days old. want these to hatch unlike the last few clutches that just got moldy.
    Lithops care info: If you take care of it, it will die.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have bred leos for 4 years now and have over 30 so my incubator fills up rather quickly. so the ones that dont fit i get a tupperwear container put vermiculite and perlite mix together place eggs in lay any water retaining moss on top make sure you squeex the excess water out of the moss before laying it on the eggs. poke some holes in the top and place on a shelf every week or so open and run the moss under water squeeze most of the water out and re-cover it works well for me my hypos hatched nicely in this incubation

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have always used a 10 gallon tank for my incubator with the bottom filled with water to cover a submersible fish heater by 2" or so. I then placed 2 bricks on there side that were just above the water. I then used another plastic container for the egg box with holes punched in the lid. The inside of the egg box I used moist vermiculite. I know people who have used perlite. The water in the bottom of the 10 gallon tank is to set your temperature and keep humidity up.
    I use a digital thermometer with the sensor placed at the same level as the egg box on the inside glass of the 10 gallon tank. The outside of the 10 gallon tank is covered in cork to help insulate it. This way I was always sure the eggs were at the correct temperature. Turn on the heater to obtain a temperature between 76-79F. If temperatures are higher you will get some males. When males mature they will fight with each other. The temperature the eggs are incubated at determines the sex of the babies.
    You can always try to incubate them at room temperature, it might work. I like to know things are consistent myself. I would not add a light as I think you will raise your temperature too much. Also UTH are very hot. I measure mine around 115 degrees. I have a rheostat on it to keep it around 90 degrees for my lizards.
    Hope this helps.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input everyone, and Steve.

Vertigo I never seen you around the forums where I lurk until this one and the 'other' plant one. A lot of help though. =)

Anyways, so I decided to just kinda.. go with it. She laid them the night beofre last, at 4am. I got them within 2 hours of her laying. She did it in her "cave", not nesting hide. But they look SO much better than last year, when they were deflated yellow unfertile eggs. I put them in a deli cup with moist perlite and 4 small holes. I put them in a small tank with a light and glass cover. Is this alright? So far the temp has stayed around 82*-84* and humidity around 80%. This okay? If so I'm just going to keep them there. This morning they were softer and looked like a 'coating' was pelling off, the hard white one and they were a tad cream color. I got scared. It was about 82 then so I put the glass top on(had plastic) and tonight they look fine, at 84. How often should I mist and when I do should I do it around or ON the eggs? I'm so excited!! She did this twice last year and they were so bad. You could hold them up to a normal light and see right through the soft yellow shell. Now you can't see nothing, they are solid. Even if they turn out unfertile, she's getting better. =)

Heres a pic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They now have mold.

='(

What went wrong? They are not too moist...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast