What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green open brain

Have any of you guys ever had an LPS coral detach from it's skeleton? That is exactly what happened to my green open brain. It just separated from the skeleton. The coral looks healthy, expanding, not bleaching, and it has good color. I moved it to a corner of the tank where it gets very little flow over it. So far, so good. How long does a LPS take to grow a new skeleton?

I was just attracted to the irreverence of your thread title - "Green Open Brain; Separating from Skeleton" sounds like some sort of Jethro Tull cover band. When I saw your topic I had to look.
I've never had a saltwater tank so I don't know what to tell you, but I had a good laugh anyways. I've always wanted to keep corals... I hope yours do well.
~Joe

Mine die.....But it wasnt my fault. Sorry, add calcuim may it help if it stills in your aquarium, maybe coral vite from kent?.

I add calcium about once a week. I think it got blown off the skeleton by a powerhead.
The brain came completely off the skeleton over 2 months ago, I put it in a low flow area and it is still alive, good color and expanding. I want to see if it grows a new skeleton.

I hope it get a new skeleton, good luck =).

CNCReefer, it sounds like you hit the nail on the head when you said a power head pulled it off the skeleton.

What yuor describing sounds like laminar flow damage.

You migh tlook into getting a wavemaker power strip, you simply plug your powerheads into it like a normal power strip, but it has a micro-chip in it that will cause it to turn off and on, causing more chaotic action.

You should also make sure power heads are never pointing directly at invertebrate life.

Another option is a device called a SCWD, which will do the same thing a wavemaker does with ONE power head through gears and plumbing. (I like SCWDS personally)

If you want to upgrade and your tank is big enough, you could also look into getting Tunze streamers. they produce a larger current that doesn't have the concentrated flow of water channeling through the center that can cause coral damage.

As for the brain, keep feeding it, watch your water quality, and hopefully it will produce another skeleton. I have never actually seen or heard of this damage going so far, but here is hoping!

Back