Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Reefer Forum on the Net?

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you've never had one before, expect algae blooms as the tank ages and matures for the first few months. Just part of it. I had a nightmare with deep sand beds so I can't recommend that.

If you haven't bought the live rock yet, I really suggest buying uncured. I've bought precured and it's practically dead live rock compared to uncured, which is encrusted with life and since you need to cycle your tank anyway, might as well cure the uncured live rock in the tank and get all of the extra life like macro algaes (I had this flourescent orange one once!) , stony polyps, amphipods, copepods bristleworms etc. I promise it might get stinky and is extra work with water changes, but you WONT regret curing your own uncured live rock.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip. Now I consider myself a lucky son of a b*tch, because the proprietor of the marine fish shop I like most here has a PhD in marine biology and is also chair of the Taiwan Reef Research Association; in short - a reef nut with an eco-agenda. This guy won't sell you stuff just for the sake of selling you stuff. He also won't sell you stuff if he thinks it's not good for your setup - he'll rather refer you to the shop next door than have your dead fish on his conscience.

The downside is he believes DSB is the catfish's meow :-) I'll have to talk to him about this and the cured/uncured thing. I'll have to wait after summer with the curing, though - at 90+ degrees daily and tropical humidity, the stink will take on epic proportions, I'm afraid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh they ARE really good if you have a buttload, and I mean a BUTTLOAD of microfauna to keep the sand constantly turning, and if you can find oolitic sand. My DSB just grew anaerobic pockets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your best bet for rock is to buy "dry" or "base" rock. Its much cheaper the live rock and once its in the tank with a few pieces of live rock it will get colonized with bacteria and in a few months you wont know the difference

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You buy LR for the coraline algae, amphi and copepods, bristle worms, macroalgae, and polyps, not just for bacteria.

For those in America, the BEST live rock I've ever had was Gulf View. It's aquacultured in the gulf of Mexico so it's sustainable.
    http://www.gulf-view.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know you want that stuff but you can get all that stuff on a few small pieces and let it colonize the rest. I have over 200lbs of what was once dry rock and under 100lbs that was purchased live and you couldn't possibly tell the difference at this point. Coraline spreads like wild with proper calcium and lighting. Pods of all types reproduce like wild if nothing is feeding on them. Even then they still reproduce faster then most fish will eat them. As for macro algae your probably better off with out it as many species can take over a reef pretty fast. You also may end up with stuff on your live rock you dont want such as aptasia or majano anenomes, mantis shrimp or any number of coral eating crabs,nudibranchs and flatworms.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hans,

how are you coming w/ your new obsession?

The two forums i visit are:

www.reefcentral.com
    www.maast.org <-- my local reefing club

you are living in an incredible place and will have access to so much awesome reef life... I am somewhat envious.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast