Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Reefer Forum on the Net?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best Reefer Forum on the Net?

Hi guys,

on top of my Nepenthes addiction I've now caught the reef tank bug. I've never had an aquarium in my life, so I'm doing a LOT of homework before I even think about buying anything.

Doing homework includes reading books, talking to other reefers (luckily there's a whole street full of aquarium shops here in Taipei where proprietors and customers alike are quite willing to answer dumb questions) and checking websites and forums.

Now, I've found there are tons of reef forums out there, and I'd like to ask everyone here:

Which one do you like best, and why? Reef Frontiers? Reef Central? Reef Sanctuary? Reef Visions? 3Reef? Reefs.org? Any other?

Thanks much in advance!!

Hans

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh Hans it's an AWESOME hobby to have, and awesomely expensive. Back when I did it in the... 7th grade I think I frequented reefaquariumguide.com , and reefcentral.com is good too but I prefer the former.

If there's any advice I can give, is to not skimp on the lights and protein skimmer, and go with the largest tank you can get. Get a nice sump and don't bother with hang-on equipment. No wet/dry filter! Nano-reefs are popular these days and there's something about a reef in what's basically a goldfish bowl that makes me uncomfortable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You had a reef in 7th grade?!? My dad could barely keep his alive and he was in his thirties.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep. It got too expensive for me on a 7th graders allowance, and really my parents paid for most of it lmao. It was 75 gallons, VHO lighting (really cool at the time, when PC was just taking off) and a turbofloater 1000. I had mostly LPS corals and shrimp and stuff. It was BEAUTIFUL but for a 7th grader it was too expensive and then I sold it all and now it's my CP terrarium.

It's really easy as long as you have a good protein skimmer and enough live rock. I couldn't pull off aquatic plants, though. You'd think a freshwater aquarium with real plants would be easier than salt with coral and anemones but not so for this aquarist

Needless to say I've aced every bio test on marine invertebrates since then

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    http://www.nano-reef.com

Everyone's photos on that site are fantastic. Great info there on taking photos of an aquarium.

Specifically, read every word of steelhealr's thread " 24G Nano Cube DX Startup, Setup, Manual for newbies, in the works " This should be a bible for ANYONE looking to start a reef tank, esp. a nano or pico. Best of luck to you!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi everyone

thanks for y'all's input!

I'm not planning a nano reef, as I also see it as a mere goldfish bowl in which the motile gang might feel uncomfortable. Instead, I'm getting a 60 gallon tank with a first-class skimmer, lots of pre-cured live rock and live sand, a decent sump, and a HQL/bluelight combo.

If there's one thing I've learned from keeping CPs in tanks, it's DON'T SKIMP ON THE BASICS. Which I won't, so already I'm looking at US$1300-1500 just for the habitat - not counting any critters. Fortunately, tropical ocean creatures are really cheap here in Taiwan (hey, we EAT them round here :-) ), so maybe my family will get me a few for Christmas...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if you're going for a larger tank, that forum (and especially that thread) will be invaluable. It's all about algae blooms, what's this thing wandering around my newly cured live rock, etc. etc. While you'll be dodging a lot of the problems associated with very small saltwater tanks, you'll still gain a lot by learning from their mistakes. Better to learn from someone else's $700 mistake than your own. Again best of luck. Maybe put a photojournal together for us, so that we can enjoy the growth and discovery with you =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again, jrod! Could you link directly to steelhealr's thread? I can't find it

DumbTon
    PS: The more I read, see and hear about reefs, the more amazed I am about the huge, colorful, amazing, stunningly magical world that's waiting for me....guess I've found my way to deal with the midlife crisis. The usual cure - buying a red Lamborghini - might have been cheaper, but this is so much more interesting :-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast