Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: beginner salty

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by polywer2345 View Post
    but i am a $100 budget

well its still possible to get started for $100..
    (freshwater tank, not saltwater)

that craigslist complete 29 gallon setup was $125..(used)
    and that was in New York City too..where everything is EXTRA expensive!

if you look around, you could probably find a used 29 gallon and all the necessary bits for
    $100..its a stretch, but possible.

For a freshwater tank you need:

tank.
    filter.
    heater.
    2 or 3 small fish to start with.

thats it..

a hood and light is nice, but not necessary to get started..
    you could just cover the tank with a piece of plywood until you can buy a proper hood.
    (the hood and light will probably come with the tank anyway..so its probably a non-issue anyway.)

you will need SOME kind of cover however..you cant leave the top open, because nearly all fish will jump.

Some aquarium gravel on the bottom is also generally a given, but again not necessary right from the start..
    I would recommend starting with some gravel however, because the gravel supports a big chunk of the biofilter bacteria...which is a good thing.

and if you keep goldfish instead of tropical fish, you dont even need a heater!

I would recommend a basic "hang on the back" power filter, like this:

http://www.petsmart.com/graphics/pro...758093t400.jpg

dont bother with cannister filters or anything like that..
    and dont use a UGF! (Under Gravel Filter)..they are evil.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 10 gallon setup for freshwater fish is very stable provided that you slowly stock and do some diligence (maybe I'm too over cleaning and whatever)
    10 gallon tank $10
    Filter like a whisper like $14
    Airpump $8
    Airstone for the whole back of the tank $3
    Gravel or river rock from the hardware store (make sure it won't screw with the Ph though) $3 to $10 Depending on the packaged stuff or the cheap river rock.
    Heater $10 to $20 From a cheap Tetra to a Stealth
    Hood if you want plants the 8 watt ones won't cut it I like my strip light ontop of the grid setup but no plants means a $10 hood will be fine. $10 to $20
    Now I'm getting DSL back tomorrow after one pickin month so I'll show you what I did for under $100 for a nice 10 gallon. I have mine stocked with 4 Danios(2 orangish ones(half moons?) and 2 zebras),2 Albino Cories,a guppy (the last survivor from fart mart),2 neon tetras and another form of tetra. I heavily suggested a planted tank there fun and my nitrates are like zero(no algae like never) unless I add my fertilizer creation. I can help you out with the plants since mine are like growing like crazy from the light and fertilizer that I add monthly. I tried CO2 but I have great growth without it so I dunno ether I have vigorous plant species or just am doing something else right. Oh guess what I'm using for fertilizer ?
    I spent about $15 for a quart of the stuff hasn't done anything but great growth to anything I have in my carefully and low amounts.

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Zebra Danios and Neon tetras are schooling fish and really don't do too well in groups of 2. You need to keep them in at least groups of four; I've tried a group of 3 neons and it just didn't go.

I keep a 5 gallon freshwater with 4 neons (as stated above); it's a little over a year old now.

I really don't feel like putting in the extra effort for aquatic plants when I can get plastic ones that look almost exactly the same as the real thing (established with algae growth, of course). I guess I'll try them out some day.
    -Matt
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 4 danios I have 4 tetras just different colors
    I like the plants there easy,I keep a very nice turbulance for the filter to suck up the crap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Each specific species (the zebra danios and neon tetras) need to have an exclusive school of four each.
    Keeping 2 neon tetras with 2 different species of tetra does not count as a school.
    This...

Will not school with this...

Just trying to help for the sake of your fish.
    -Matt
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright I understand I have 2 like danios but my tetras are different well could I have my tank stocked with 2 1 inch sized full grown albino corys,1 guppy,4 tetras,4 danios could I add 2 more of each to make them happy ? Or am I pushing my luck ? The bottom(like 20 gallons or 15) of my 55 is going to be ready I could take out the less colorfull tetras buy 2 more of them then put 2 more of the neons into the 10 that will work just need a filter and some gravel removal in my 55 bottom. Thanks for looking out for me on this I'm a newbi to this ,
    I started a thread on the 2 tanks lets leave this one alone Since this is polywer's thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by theyellowdart View Post
    Each specific species (the zebra danios and neon tetras) need to have an exclusive school of four each.
    Keeping 2 neon tetras with 2 different species of tetra does not count as a school.
    This...

Will not school with this...

Just trying to help for the sake of your fish.
    -Matt

I beg to differ..
    my neon and glo-light tetras have never seemed to be aware, or care, that they are different species..

I once had 6 neons and 4 glo-lights..(about 6 years ago)
    over time a few have died..
    im now down to 4 neons and 2 glo-lights..
    they have been one happy school of 6 fish for many years..

I do agree that danios will not school with tetras..
    but in my experience, different types of tetras will school together.

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, thats interesting.
    Well, at least in technical terms, they aren't supposed to. I was just trying to give an example.

Thanks for looking out for me on this I'm a newbi
    Glad I could help.
    Join the www.fishlore.com forums. They will be able to answer your questions better than I.

-Matt
    growlist

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast