User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is ro water really needed for reefs?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your totally correct .
    For me $100 is a good amount of money,remember I'm 15 still
    But I agree I will spend 30%-40% more for a good DI and a brand name RO membrane.
    I go for economical but without skimping,my first corals are just mushrooms thats it
    I've got to admit I would have done fish only if I really realized the cost/worry/complexity of a reef,then I can worry less about nitrates,copper and so on
    But it hit me if I spend 50% more I can do a reef, thats why I am in my current situation...

Back on topic,I think your better off not using that product,
    reefs are just pathetically sensitive and I wouldn't risk $100+ in starter corals.

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright, thanks for the input. I'm probably going to take the plunge and buy an RO system anyway.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update: I think I might get this one.... http://www.marineandreef.com/Pure_Fl...p/res76001.htm

I still don't fully understand the "GPD" thing. Anyone care to explain? All I know is that one has the right price. lol
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gallons per day,for me I wouldn't care if it was a picking quart per day
    Well if it was free and gave good water. Realistically the unit would obviously be complete crap.
    Anyways,I think thts fine coralife is generally a good company,according to the minimal number of complaints I've seen online.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I understand now... Thanks to hours and hours worth of forum reading over at reefcentral. (Of course I didn't spend hours and hours searching about RO/DI systems!)

I think I'll soon be starting a 40 gallon mixed reef.
    growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say, no not essential, but helpful.

On an older tank I get away with a britta just fine. However, you do get more silicates, and may have a longer 'ugly' stage in the tank acclimatizing.

With RO water, you are adding less impurities, and with that feeding less things you don't want to bloom (like diatoms).

So yes it is possible, but it can be more work.

I'd say try it, and then for kicks you can get the RO water from one of those vending machines, and see if it makes your tank happier.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tested a brita and it doesn't take out much of the tds. for the price it is worthless.
    a $100 filter sounds like a lot of money, but you can get 1000's of gal out of one before changing the prefilters and it makes very good H2O for coffeee/tea, drinking, cooking, aquarium, cp's, etc.
    SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was at my LFS talking about the RO water for my CPs, the guy there said it was absolutely pure, because if not, his reefs would crash... O.O
    Just thought I'd chime in. I don't keep reefs...yet

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast