Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nano Reefers?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I'm with you! I don't buy hobby or trade books much anymore, forums are the best for learning the latest info or techniques for doing just about anything.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jm82792 View Post
    $40ish a refractrometer (don't buy a hygrometer) from BRS, ebay or such

That's about it, get your frags cheap from reef clubs, use RO water for mixing your SW, use RO for topoffs,
    do monthly to bimonthly water changes, get a fish, don't stock many fish unless you want to spend another $100 on a decent skimmer.....
    I forgot about the refractometer, yes don't get a hygrometer. Spend the extra up front its worth it.

Another idea for cheap frags, go to your local fish stores and just ask about those little pieces that get broken off there tanks. I've bought alot of small pieces for $2-7 that have grown in very nice pieces. Some employees/stores will do it others will not.

Depending on how hard your water is you could get a tap water filter (de-ionizer thingie), but if you have hard water you would use the filters up way to fast. Less the 70 or so TDS and they last forever. 500+ gallons for us, my wife usually says this thing is iky and we are replacing it before the water reads close to our tap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I forgot about the refractometer, yes don't get a hygrometer. Spend the extra up front its worth it.
    You'll have to explain this part to me, I thought a refractometer was for measuring light quality and hygrometer for measuring SG and salinity?

I have a 75GPD R/O.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    You'll have to explain this part to me, I thought a refractometer was for measuring light quality and hygrometer for measuring SG and salinity?

I have a 75GPD R/O.
    The one I have is like a small telescope shaped device that I put the saltwater on the end and look at a scale between the lens' that refracts the light and reads the salt level by the displaced light through the salt on the end lens.

Hopefully that made some sense. Either way they are so much more accurate, easier to clean and don't break as easy. Alot of hygrometers start to mis read after a few years too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I remember from having my damsel tank that it was a pain to be sure and knock the bubbles off the hygrometer's little swing arm or it would register wrong. I looked the Salinity refractometers up on ebay, they're less $ than a hygrometer at the LFS!

How often do you check the salinity?

I don't use my digital Ph meter on a daily basis (or even a monthly basis) so it went dry even though I stored it with a cap full of water. What do you do in this case just recalibrate it or...? I mean it arrived dry when I ordered it so it ought not to be the end of the world...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    I remember from having my damsel tank that it was a pain to be sure and knock the bubbles off the hygrometer's little swing arm or it would register wrong. I looked the Salinity refractometers up on ebay, they're less $ than a hygrometer at the LFS!

How often do you check the salinity?

I don't use my digital Ph meter on a daily basis (or even a monthly basis) so it went dry even though I stored it with a cap full of water. What do you do in this case just recalibrate it or...? I mean it arrived dry when I ordered it so it ought not to be the end of the world...
    Yea E-bay can be great, sometimes. When I first started with saltwater many many moons ago, I checked it a few times a week. But now I only check it when I'm adding/changing water. You need to make sure they are very close in a nano reef.

I haven't tested for Ph in like 10+ years . I started using de-inoized water and then moved over to ADA aquasoil, both things mess up Ph reading. So I can't help with the Ph meter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I check the salinity every few months, I don't mix SW so it's perfect and I've kept it good for a long time.
    I take a bottle to the ocean, get stared at by toursit, do my thing and change the water.
    I've gotted tot he point where I'll taste the SW, but I just topoff my tank and everything goes well.

PH is something you test every blue moon,
    or if something goes wrong or if you think your SW you just mixed is funky..
    Testing for nitrites, ammonia and the like is usually done when your tank is new.

Regarding ebay, I got a refractormeter from ebay,
    I can't remember where but it's served me 3 years and it's fared decently.
    But I'd just go to bulk reef supply and buy your rock, refractrometer, and such...
    Dr foster Smith Aquatics is also great.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just set up my first nano reef today! I can honestly say that it is a chore to find everything you may need for a saltwater setup locally. I am cycling the tank right now and as soon as it gets up to temp I will add some live rock to my reef.

Going to be a good time!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast