User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with "FOWLR" tank

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pistol shrimp and goby combo looks really cool! Though the shrimp kinda scares me a little bit... a 212 decibel, 5000 degree attack at 100 miles an hour? And this thing is PEACEFUL? Would it hurt the other fish and/or kill me by being super annoying? if the answer to both of those questions is no, I think I found the tank completer!
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whoa! I had no idea that this prawn goby / pistol shrimp combo formed such a close bond like that! It's like having an episode of Blue Planet right on your desk!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually setting up a 20 gallon nano right now, though not a FOWLR, fish will likely be a purple fire fish and a yellow watchman goby also planning on a pistol shrimp......just got the live rock yesterday.....had forgotten how much fun it is, when i checked this morning i believe i discovered a half dozen mushroom corals, some brittle stars and a couple of fan worms....
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    ^ couldnt have said it any better myself.
    Ditto!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha no. The pistol shrimps in the trade don't kill fish. They can kill shrimp and amphipods smaller than them, but at a whopping inch long, that's really not an issue.

I used to teach a marine bio class and we would periodically collect them so students could key them out for ID purposes. We learned quickly to put them in watchglasses that were at least 1/16" of an inch thick. They cracked the petri dish sized ones lol. Mantis shrimp are even worse about this. The club-footed ones can break the glass on a standard ten gallon tank.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol...they dont call mantis shrimp, "thumbsplitters" for nuthin!
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a friend here in Utah, who had a nice little 15 gallon species tank for his mantis shrimp, which eventually ended up breaking the front of the tank during feeding time.

A pistol shrimp isn't going to be anywhere near as loud or destructive as a mantis would be. One thing I would watch out for though is the other shrimp in the tank. Pistol shrimp have been known to eat other decorative shrimp like peppermints and cleaners. This is pretty common, so I would want to risk putting them together, but maybe that's just me.
    Last edited by HeliGoddess; 10-20-2011 at 03:25 PM.

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update! Everyone's gotten the tanks up and running. Turns out our fish list was a very loose guideline, but we got a few things we wanted. So far we have:

1 Bangai

1 peppermint shrimp (not visible, coolest thing ever though)

1 clown fish

1 royal gramma basslet

and 2 things in the picture that I don't remember what they are, because we didn't ask for them. The blue one will occasionally chase the bangaii around and nip at it, until the way bigger clownfish comes out and chases it away. Friends for life!

We'll probably get another banggai and shrimp, but our tank looks pretty empty compared to the others. Are there any really small school fish that would go well in it? just something to swim around and add life?

We are also the only group to not have any fish deaths, but that might just be because all the others have a bunch of small ones. One tank lost every single fish from a virus, though! They made good eating for my plants at school!

As far as accessories, the pump is designed to move... I think 1000 gallons an hour? I might be wrong, though. The protein skimmer is rated at 200 gallons, I think the filter is 100, the heater is 150 watts... in other words, we are going WAY overkill! Never have any ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite, so at least that's working.

What do you think?

Happy growing/fish raising!

Edit: Fixed! Sorry about that.
    Last edited by Sig; 10-26-2011 at 08:46 AM.
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast