Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Help with "FOWLR" tank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh boo I can't see the photo, but I'm so excited

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We lost two of our fish.

And by "lost" I mean we CAN'T FIND THEM. They're just GONE. They were both seen on Friday, and monday hits and the basslet and bangai are nowhere to be found. We assumed they were just hiding, but today we practically turned the whole tank upside down looking for them... NOTHING! We are baffled! There are three possible theories:

1: Both got eaten. A little nuts considering they're fed every day, there are no fish bigger then them, and there's absolutely no trace of parts.

2: They jumped out and died. But there's a plastic mesh completely sealing the tank! We also looked behind it, all around it, for a good 10 minutes, and found no bodies.

3: Someone jacked em'! It also sounds ridiculous, but it fits just as well as the other two... they were the prettiest fish in the tank, and they disappeared over the weekend. But who would steal a fish??

What the fish is going on??
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theft......it's school....nuff said.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well i hope whoever stole them (if they were stolen) at least knows how to take care of them, and not some moron who would just fill a goldfish bowl with tap water and toss in the fish...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...We lost another fish.

Okay, it was the smaller blue one this time, which would lead credence to the "clownfish of death" theory. But really? it was seen at the end of the day yesterday, but not this morning. So it disappeared overnight, which would mean some pretty quick eating. The "fishnapping" theory would still work, I guess... but WTF? if someone wanted to steal them, why not all at once? a prank? Who knows?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sabotage?
    Jerry Smith
    Bloomingdale, NJ
    My plants: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=128718

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're dead. Four of them! We found the blue tang and this other fish dead, and the royal gramma basslet and bangaii are still nowhere to be found... but we're assuming those are dead too, and just eaten. The only survivors right now are the peppermint shrimp and the clownfish, but the clown appears to be sickly with a reddish "bruise" on its head. What gives?

Considering the water conditions are all fine, the most likely cause is a pathogen that affects only fish. The clownfish is captive bred, though, so would be hardier than the others, and the shrimp is... a shrimp. So... we kind of have to start over. We either have to sterilize everything in the tank, (ruining the live rock and needing to cycle the filters again) or we have to completely avoid chordates. So our "Fish only with live rock" tank wouldn't even have fish! I guess I wouldn't mind a tank with a bunch of shrimp, but meh...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    next time...test with blue chromis damsels before putting in the nice fish in...

royal gramma's like overhangs...

tangs are vegetarians, and can be aggressive at times, they got blades on the end of their caudals which can inflict damage to other tankmates...

the reddish lesion on your clownfish suggest something viral is going on in your water, and considering everyone else in your class is going through the same thing, im suspecting you arent exempt. UV sterilizer can help. i would also agree that your water perimeters are fine, because if they werent, usually invertebrates are the first to kick the bucket...
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast