User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I just got Jellyfish How do I setup a saltwater aquarium?

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ignorance

is one reason we sold our petstore.
    Folks are so dependant on others and blame others for their shortcomings.
    We would stop selling creatures to certain folks as they never seemed to grasp the reality of caring for an exotic (or domestic) animal.
    I have horror stories of people buying baby rabbits ,take them home and proceed to put them in a 10 gallon fish tank with a glass lid, set them in the sun so they could "enjoy it" while they went to the beach. The next day they brought in the little bodies and demanded their $ back!!!
    Or the guy who purchased over $200 worth of reef animals, saying he was really into the hobby.....the next day all of his creatures have died. After the usuall 20 (200) questions, turns out he was using water softener salts as it was a bit cheaper than Instant Ocean.
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexenthes View Post
    I saw this thread in the side bar and then saw that you created it, swords and my first thought was:

Seriously Swords doesn't already know or hasn't researched this already??

I thought the same thing ! hahaha I was like............WTF happened to swords ? He wasn't retarded yesterday. hahaha

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I figure people like this just think of these animals as something to check off on a list of possessions:
    Well I did the jellyfish, CHECK! I think I'll get a snake next. Off to the google! Look up "snakes for sale"...

It would be hard to work in a pet or plant shop and put up with customers' foolishness. I was happy my aunt didn't sugar coat it for the lady she told her: "You're probly gonna kill those jellyfish cos aquariums need to be setup and cycled before you put anything in them". Lady bought all the stuff anyway but no water test kits or hydrometer...

There are all sorts of critters I'd love to keep but after I do research online and join forums and ask questions I don't get 99% of them once I find out the realities of keeping the various things that "seem cool" at first. I think a whole lot more people would abandon their exotic pet fantasies if they did the proper research before they get the things, sadly they aren't required to do the learning first...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: Box/Ignorance

Yea, one of my first jobs was in a small town petstore (right before starting at a plant shop!), and I learned a whole world of things there.

I quickly learned to dread when some parent brought their kid in to purchase some poor creature that you knew would be tortured & killed in no time.
    And yes, for quite a few people, it was our fault or someone else's, but never an admittance of their own ignorance & stupidity!

Not to say I wasn't there once myself. Indeed I was like that once too. I realize we have to learn somewhere.
    But for me I did realize rather quickly that I had better at least read & study up on how to care for the animal/plant & what it needs, BEFORE actually getting one!
    Also, that I had better be committed to caring for it, as I was going to be the one responsible for its life & welfare. (Most people "want" a plant or animal, but forget that in acquiring one, that they are actually getting into a "relationship" whereby they in return are responsible for it & filling its needs & care.)

I wish people new to it, would at least stick with the common animals (like goldfish) & common plants, that have been quickly & easily bred & raised specifically for them to try to care for & to "learn" from.
    But then even when I see something "common" like a small green chameleon (common anole type) going into the care of some kid that can't even remember to wipe his backside, it still bothers me. Does he even know what that animal needs, and will he remeber to feed it or give it water? (Especially since "common" green chameleons are not so common as they once were.)

Which by the way, most "pets" are forced to live with an extreme lack of CLEAN/FRESH water (most common situation for pets is an owner too "busy" to give then FRESH water!) & many die a slow, horrible death from dehydration.
    Rule of thumb, if you wouldn't drink the water, why do you expect them to? (You expect them to remain healthy drinking that sludge?!) Could you?

I can feel for you with the petstore situation. I once thought of doing that sort of business when I was younger, but quickly realized I couldn't part with an animal if I cared for its life, and allow it to be sold to someone I knew wasn't responsible.

Sad situation.

Well said Swords!
    All I can say is, it is better it was a pair of jellyfish, than something more rare & conscious of its surroundings.
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cthulhu138 View Post
    I thought the same thing ! hahaha I was like............WTF happened to swords ? He wasn't retarded yesterday. hahaha
    Ditto, I did a "Oh man, really? Here we go again... but wait a sec... Swords? He's definitely a pro, what the...." I let out an audible sigh of relief when I read the context...

Here at college, a man comes by on the warmer days selling Betta fish and those little aquatic albino frogs, in little jars, to all the freshmen that walk by. I could never do his job, selling away these living creatures, when at least 75% of them wont last the week.

I've killed pets, and plants, like we all have. But it's amazing how little people can take away from such events...
    "The plants you grow, end up growing you."

My Grow List:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=123995

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    this is the reason i've stopped with pets. i have a mixed fish tank but all are rare species so i can't just trust them with a stranger, they'd probably die in a few weeks. however, i've stopped buying months ago.

it's the most selfish thing to keep an animal captive for one's own pleasure. thousands maybe millions of animals perish at the hands of people every day. heater blows up, hundreds of shrimps perish; he goes on a holiday, the fish starve to death...etc. it's just wrong. i am all about freedom but now i have trouble seeing this as a "hobby".
    think about those jellyfish...they died. why ? because an idiot didn't have the common sense to make some research. what's sad is they'd probably die anyway even if he had a setup...it's all trial and error before one gets the hang of it and there's so much loss until then...it's just not fair.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hah, this is amazing. On the other hand, I think it would be awesome to keep a few jellyfish. I don't know how well this works, but they sure are pretty: http://www.jellyfishart.com/Desktop-...p/kckstrtr.htm

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What's the big deal? When I lived in Australia I caught a Sea Dragon off the coast of Melbourne and stuck it in a fish bowl with a bit of epsom salt. Other than being insanely relaxed as it floated at the top of the bowl, it was fine.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast