User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I just got Jellyfish How do I setup a saltwater aquarium?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mato,
    If that was a joke, I didn't really think it was too funny...
    (And if it wasn't a joke, it is just plain sad!)

People do that sort of thing all the time,
    and it's sickening.
    Sea Dragons of all things! Why not shove a N.Edwardsiana in the bowl too for good measure?

Maxima,
    Glad to hear you developed empathy for others (including what many consider "lower species) and couldn't agree more. Beyond animal rescue, ...taking a fellow life form & putting it into a cage & then barely tending to it & providing for its needs to even survive, is a real testament to just how "superior" humans really are.

I "inherited" an iguana years ago from someone who no longer wanted it, and gave it the best home I could. It lived for around 20 years. During that time I talked to a few people I knew who worked for the local zoos, and they told me I was providing a better home for it than they could! (They said the ones in the zoo often fight & get injured, living in fear because of having too many of them in too small a space... apparently they fight for territory & such, or that the ones who are by themselves are often in small cages where neglect often still goes on.)
    They also said that in the wild the lifespan is about 7 years if that, as they are usually hurt or hunted, and die.
    But even with that reassurance that I was doing pretty good, I still felt terrible. I feel that 7 years in the wild beats 20 years in a cage.

I even feel bad for most plants, when I see the neglect & poor environments people subject them to. But as far as animals are concerned, it is just plain cruelty.

Like you Maxima I had a number of "pets" when I was younger, as most people who are interested in nature/animals do. But like a few of us who do wake up, my opinion has changed. If nothing else, I now hope that people at least read up about things & provide for their needs for survival.

And yes, $499 for 3 jellyfish & 6 months of food is such a deal. Especially for them!
    (They only give you 6 months of food, for you likely won't be needing it longer than that!)
    This subject is depressing. I think I will be looking around at other posts now....
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GrowinOld View Post
    Mato,
    If that was a joke, I didn't really think it was too funny...
    (And if it wasn't a joke, it is just plain sad!)

People do that sort of thing all the time,
    and it's sickening.
    Sea Dragons of all things! Why not shove a N.Edwardsiana in the bowl too for good measure?

haha nice to see you've got a sense of humor.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I do, Mato!
    (More than I should usually!)

But having loved those Sea Dragons as I do,
    I can picture people doing just that, and it drives me crazy*!

Now if you had mentioned having roasted Koala bear with Sea Dragon soup while you were there,
    THAT I woulda understood! But to waste good Sea Dragons by shoving them in a fish bowl...
    well, that is just absurd!

*But then, compared to my normal state of mind,
    crazy ain't all that bad!

I know, still not funny...
    But then what can you expect from a world where we actually have to buy water?
    (We used to joke about the day that would ever happen, and yet here it is!)
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

BANNED
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha, ok, ok, I lied. I actually needed something to feed the wild cephalotus I poached. Wasn't really trying to relieve the Sea Dragon's constipation with epsom salt.

Glad we could clear this up like respectable gentlemen.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This reminds me of the time I walked into our local saltwater aquarium store and one of the young guys working there, who obviously had absolutely no I idea what he was doing, was dumping pure salt directly into the invertebrate tank to raise salinity! Needless to say I never purchased anything from them again. I still wonder how a respectable petstore could hire somebody so careless, especially since hundreds of dollars of animals were in his hands.
    Good Growing!
    -Mike Fallen

My Growlist/wishlist: http://highlandtropicals.blogspot.co...-growlist.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jeeze, lots of horror stories involving the pet trade. Makes me want to try to get a job at my local aquarium store, if they hire someone as stupid as the guy you mentioned, they should hire me no problem.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you tell customers the truth and discourage them the shop might not like it...

"So that'll be 6 Bettas in cups and one gallon bowl I'll ring that right up for you sir!"

And I did see someone buying that at Walmart.

I also saw someone taped a home made sign on the tanks at Walmart that said "stop selling fish!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I worked at a small local reptile "zoo" over the summer. They had been selling reptiles for a while but decided to quit because they did not like the idea of adding more animals to the market (they are mostly a rescue facility), they still sold animals as "adoptions" for a while but only after people had proof of purchase of all the materials needed to properly care for the animals. I still hated that they sold stuff though. I do know a few good reptile people, but only a few. Most of them are total sleazebags (Cough*ansonwong*Cough). Which is mostly why I quit hanging around with them and switched to this hobby (which is over-saturated with wonderful people ).

I don't think I will be working at the fish store this summer, maybe I can scoop poop for a vet clinic , that is right around my skill level.
    <Av8tor1> as big as peat is, the bear runs not him

Big Boss, Founder, and Major Cheese of the Canadian Association for the Cultivation of Carnivorous Plants... Ask if you want to join, I'm the only member...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast