Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rockscaping 125 tank... I SUCK! Help please you guys with "The Eye"

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Nah, reefing took over his time. I think I've got him talked into getting just a couple though- we'll see how that goes for my master plan! bwahahahhaha

Added in a cave, moved the right structure right, and added the curves in the middle back in....

-Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks cool! Are they sturdy when setup?

I can see how reefing would consume a lot of time, I love studying setting them up but always afraid to take the huge financial plunge! LOL

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yeah, takes a lot of flipping and switching rocks to find ones that stack really good- but truth be told, I purchased these rocks because of how well they interact with each other making the look fairly seamless. I believe the same reason they can look seamless is whey they're so sturdy.
    Yeah, it's a bit pricey to get started, but taxes and my wife's bonus made it possible this year.
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you gonna pick up some live rock pieces to seed the rock you have now? I've always wanted the fresh stuff ordered direct from the coast aquafarms, picked & packed day of your order arriving at the airport for pickup within 4-6 hours. Some folks say it'll all be dead but others say you can end up with some really cool stuff by curing your own live rock.

My tax man said "you're getting a good refund this year but I don't want you spending it!" Well I put 50% of it in savings...

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No, don't think I'm going to do any live ocean rock... too much risk of getting some stuff you don't want. That was another huge bonus of getting this rock, it's not out of the ocean so it's very clean... and it doesn't impact natural reefs at all (it's gotten from some land based ancient reef that's been buried a long time). Maybe I'll get Steve to send me a rock or something, otherwise it'll all seed by itself (I do have 2 bags of "live sand" too to get it going).

Well, we're having the last door switched out to an energy efficient one (last door/window in the place to be done) and solar is supposed to be installed within the next 2 weeks. So that was our investments for the year, we do 401k and buy stock all year though.
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, the stuff I'm talking about is taken from land reefs, some companies even "make" their own rock with coral aggregate and sand. Then it's replaced into the ocean in leased plots, allowed to become seeded naturally over time and then collected. I wouldn't want rocks torn out of a natural reef formation.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 2nd setup looks very similar to my sister's reef tank once you have it established with a lot of SPS and fish. She's "Jadette" on reefcentral. Her tank is a 140 rimless.

Last edited by DonH; 03-30-2014 at 09:41 PM.

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Something I always did in my tanks was build arches. I was always a conformist with my aquascapes, and I still was until last week actually. I'm beginning to set up a planted tank and I'm doing it 100% differently... Different substrate, different substrate aquascape, different kind of driftwood, and I'm going to start it up dry so the ground cover plant can spread faster (so basically I'm making a terrarium that I'll fill with water)... I digress.

Another thing I like to do is to make little "islands" out in the sandbed, which gives me room to grow out frags or isolate things like anemones. It's also gives burrowing fish good areas to make holes. BTW I recommend you get a jawfish, they're literally the coolest fish ever. I'd get 3 pearly jawfish for a tank the size of yours, they'd SOOO FUUN TO WATCH OMG.

Example of my rock structure style... (Mute the volume, I hate the music I used. Also, excuse the horrendous editing, I was literally like 10...)

Last edited by Nepenthesis; 03-30-2014 at 11:44 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast