Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: adnedarn's reef tank....build and progress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no doubt that the processors add the bacteria that they claim is in their product. But the fact is that the bacteria in question they add do not live in the water column, they are benthic in nature. In short order they form a biofilm on the surface of the container, and unless it's scraped off it doesn't enter the tank when the water is poured in. The things which boxofrain are talking about are the plankton normally found in seawater. They are filtered out before the water is packaged, because they would invariably die in the conditions under which the water is stored before sale. Furthermore, not everything floating around in natural seawater is something you would want in a reef tank. I used to collect natural seawater to perform aquatic bioassays at a lab I worked at, and after a day you can see a fine film of detritus on the bottom of the container which is the dead plankton. We then transferred the water to clean containers before using it. I have also collected seawater specifically for the plankton to be used in the rearing of captive bred marine fish. Two very different scenarios.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with SubRosa. Even in freshwater tanks, the quickest way to cycle is to seed it with some gravel from an established, disease-free tank or pull some filter media from it and throw it into the new filter. Nitrifiers are in the water column but not in significant amounts to help the process.

adnedarn - What are you using as a nitrogen source to feed the tank as it cycles? Just the die-off from the LR and LS?

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Having worked for a tropical fish wholesaler in a previous life, I have had occasions to do experiments with 'aged water' and filter medium. siphoning a 70 gallon tank down to nothing and adding water from other tanks or even making a fresh batch from the salt mix, WITH the existing filter medium, works well enough. In contrast, 'aged' water with new filter medium is a set up for 'new tank syndrome' / re-doing the Nitrogen Cycle.

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    DonH. Yes I've added nothing else.
    Last edited by adnedarn; 05-07-2014 at 09:14 AM.
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SubRosa View Post
    I have no doubt that the processors add the bacteria that they claim is in their product. But the fact is that the bacteria in question they add do not live in the water column, they are benthic in nature. In short order they form a biofilm on the surface of the container, and unless it's scraped off it doesn't enter the tank when the water is poured in. The things which boxofrain are talking about are the plankton normally found in seawater. They are filtered out before the water is packaged, because they would invariably die in the conditions under which the water is stored before sale. Furthermore, not everything floating around in natural seawater is something you would want in a reef tank. I used to collect natural seawater to perform aquatic bioassays at a lab I worked at, and after a day you can see a fine film of detritus on the bottom of the container which is the dead plankton. We then transferred the water to clean containers before using it. I have also collected seawater specifically for the plankton to be used in the rearing of captive bred marine fish. Two very different scenarios.
    Thanks, I am now smarter than I was yesterday!
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm not even saying they add anything What I was told is it's pumped from the Catalina islands area in Ca... and there it is. There was no special promises or mentions of anything added or whatever. Other than it's a live water, so whatever that was intended to mean. I guess it maybe was some type of live when they got it... haha
    -Andrew

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So I started running an extra filter on my display tank to get it ready to set up the quarantine tank the other day.... This AM I'm watching the tank to find this little critter floating/swimming around. I have my guesses but I'll wait to see if any of you know what it is. If you do, please also share if my tank is already infested by a pest before I've gotten a start or they're fine. blah blah
    Thanks!
    Andrew

-Andrew

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Medusa stage of a hydroid?

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast