Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New jellyfish discovered

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you heard of a sea wasp? it's venom is supposedly so powerful (or is it poison?) that it ruptures the cells it comes in contact with. The sea wasp is a deadly organism, capable of killing a person, and they are long long long whispy things that are hard for swimmers to see.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard of the sea wasp. have you heard of the box jellyfish? It's known to be the most venomous creature in the world! also the man-of-war, that one is deadly. this one is off topic, but once a guy in australlia picked up two live cone shells, held them near his neck for a pic, they speared him, he died in four seconds. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]
    edit: oops I forgot, the box jellyfish is the same thing as the sea wasp lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    man of war:
    http://www.aloha.com/~lifeguards/portugue.html
    pic of man of war:
    ]

box jellyfish aka sea wasp:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yuppers... I had not heard about that cone shell story... weird...

now, if you want to talk about viscious little creatures...

that would be mantis shrimp... shivers.... aparently hawaii is having quite the issue with them lately.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those mantis shrimp are powerful! man, they close their claw so fast it can break glass or kill a fish! what problems has hawaii had with them?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Manits shrimp? How big are they (should they really be called "shrimp?")? Sounds nasty!

If you guys like strange and unusual, check out this site:
    cryptozoology
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a testimony to my weirdness, here's a little story:

When I visited Florida last summer, I went for a jog on the beach right after high tide, when I came upon a strech of beach where several Man of Wars had washed up. I began thinking who it would benefit if I risked my life to throw them back:

1) The jellies themselves (duh)
    2) The green sea turtles that love jellyfish
    3) People, especially curious kids.

So, I removed my socks and shoes and one at a time, picked them up, ran out about 30 feet, and then put them into the water. (One thing I think is important to mention is, that they retract their tenticles when out of water, but when placed back in, can extract all 30-50 feet in a matter of seconds.) So, risky as it was, I repeated this process with as many as possible, and near the end, if the insurance company found out, my rates would have shot through the roof. LOL. When I finished, when I looked about 100 yards out, I saw a large mass of tenticles, no doubt them. BTW, a hurricane had just been through 2 days before we arrived, so I suspect that's why they all were so near shore. Ok, that's all! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/alien.gif[/img]
    I am back..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You wild and crazy guy... did you at least have someone aroudn to pee on you? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img] lol

Yes, Mantis Shrimp are Shrimp, hawaii is currently experienceing a plauge of rather large ones, as I believe their natural predators have been reduced by something, not sure what.

What is their natural predator? well... i have no idea, it must be on a short list though, Mantis Shrimp are considered the number 3 predator pound for pound in the world.

THere are two types, Basher, and Spearer. now, imagine with me if you will, a shrimp with big prayin mantis type appendages. The elbo on the basher is encrusted with calcium deposits, making it very hard, they use these elbows to crack open everything from crab and clam shells, to human toe nails and fish tanks. (never keep a mantis in a glass tank.) The other type, spearers, have those mantis appendages sharpened to a fine point, and they are so fast, you can't see them strike, it's over before your optic nerves register it (3rd fastest predator in the world) and I forget number one and 2, so don't ask! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif[/img]

Mantis shrimp are very sci-fi looking, and some are absolutely beautiful... but they are the bane of any salt water reef or fish tank... they will eat everything, even trigger fish who are specialized crustacean eaters, get killed. I read a story once about a mantis that killed 5 trigger fish in one night... to the unhappy eyes of the owner...

to catch one is easy (in your tank) put a piece of shrimp on a rock, cover it with a pair of womens panty hose and tie off. The shrimp has bristles on it's legs that get caught in this when he goes for the shrimp. NOTE: THis is also an effective capture for bristle worms too. next morning, you just pull out the rock (with tongs) and My suggestion, toss it into boiling water.... unless you want to keep a mantis, there is no reason to keep it alive, they are vicious little creatures that attack the front panel of a tank when you walk by. Besides, who wants to untangle an enraged mantis from panty hose? not me! I like my fingers thank you very much!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast