Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starting up a 30 Hex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the following allready:

30 Gallon Hex, w/ Stand I am building a canopy vented with 7 inch fans.

Fluval 104 (temporary fixture)

175 watt 20K metal halide (I may build some power compacts into the hood in the future)

300 Watt Thermometer with a 175 on hand for backup (remember it's a 30 gallon hex, NOT a lot of room on the back pane.)

Rio 1400 with a SCWD

For Christmas, I am getting a AquaC Remora Protien Skimmer with the MagDrive (The smaller one.)

The plan

After Christmas when the tree comes down, and the space I have set aside for the tank is once again available, I will move it in, fill it up with RO water, and mix in Instant Ocean. I'll start up the power heads and the fluval for water circulation, but leave the skimmer off for a few weeks so the tank can cycle.

After a few days, I am going to put egg crate on the bottom, but in some dead live rock for base rock, and then fill in around it with a procuct called arag-alive, which is sand packaged wet so the beneficial bacteria are still alive.

Once that is going, I am driving up to Austin, where I am going to buy about 30 pounds of cured Fiji Live rock, I am partial to Lalo from the pictures, but Fiji is pretty, and easily attainable.

That goes in for another few weeks on it's own, until the algae starts growing (i am cycling the tank with the live rock, no fish needed in this case.)

When the algae starts growing, I plan on starting up the skimmer and getting things stabalized after that, then, another trip to Austin where I am going to purchase about twenty dwarf zebra hermits and 3 electric blue crabs, along with some pacific trochus snails. (I am only putting indo-pacific species in the tank.)

From IPFS.com I will purchas about 100 bucks worth of living sand macro organisms, such as beneficial bristle worms, sea bunny snails (breed and lay eggs several times daily) spaghetti worms, copepods, and so on, this attempt is to make the eco-system in the tank as diverse as possible.

After a month or so has passed and the tank is doing well, I am going to add in two Maroon Clowns, and a green bubble tip anemone, and once the anemone finds it's place, start adding corals.

So what do you think?
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How big are the crabs....sounds like it would be a large bioload for a 30 gallon tank.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the dwarfs are tiny tiny tiny...like, pinky fingernail sized... and suprisingly, with 30 pounds of live rock and the skimmer, I don't think it will even be a nick in the total bio-load.

Essentially, the larger crabs, snails, the anemone, and the two clowns will be the only life forms in there, until I start adding corals, and I don't plan on adding much beyond a few mushrooms and maybe a small pulse coral... after that, I can just let the tank grow into itself...

one thing to remember is that your 'cleaner' crew is more of a positive impact on your eco-system than a negative.

I plan on doing weekly water changes as well, I am going to buy a trash can and mix up 50 gallons of water at a time, put a power head in there to keep it moving, and when I do my water changed, I'll fill up a 5 gallon bucket, put it inside with a heater and a power head to stabilize it over night, and then fill another 5 gallon bucket with water from the tank, and replace the missing water with the stabilized buckets contents. (after unplugging the heater and letting it cool of course.) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html312/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif[/img]

In a couple of years, I will use this tank as the seed for a much larger tank, probably on the order of 200 gallons or so (when I get into a house) I'll fill that one with lalo live rock probably, and season the tank, then move in the corals, anemone, and the clowns leaving just the fiji lie rock and the live sand behind...

Then I'll put a very young lion fish in there and wean him off live food, and once he is weaned, and I am sure he will prefer what I feed him to his tank mates, I'll move him over to the 200.

I expect for a long while the clowns will be larger than him, and by the time he outgrows them, he won't really know care to eat them, and hopefully, they will still be bonded with their anemone, and not veture out far enough to be a snack any how...

The 30 hex will probably then be given over to macro-algaes and inshore invertebrates, with the idea of making it into a sea horse habitat.
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool...I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank and I can only keep about 20 inches of fish in there without overloading its biocapacity.....all that life just sounds to good to be true.......

since you seem to know tons about saltwater I have a question for you....protien skimmers....how much slat is needed before they will function.....will they work in brakish water?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    unfortunately, I am not sure. I will do a little research... but from what I remember, at any level healthy for your fish, protein skimmers are pretty much worthless in the tank. The best way to export nutrients in a fresh water tank, is still unfortunately water changes and more fortunate, using plants. If you have a tank near a sunny window, stick a pothos vine cutting in there, it will root in the water and suck all sorts of nasy out of your tank, same with aquatic plants (though you will need to forgoe the sun for a powerful artificial lighting system.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    really...they don't even work? That stinks. The way they carry on in most book one would think a protien skimmer is a must have for any sort of saltwater aquarium......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no no no.. .they work GREAT in a saltwater aquarium, but i answered the question in the context that you were asking how salty you had to be to get them to function. They just won't work in fresh water worth anything, but in salt water, they are a godsend.

Oh, and all saltwater aquariums are maintained within a specific gravity, the margin for error is slim, and slimmer with invertebrates present...

as for brakish... well, I just don't know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok...thanks for the help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast