What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

goin on a scuba trip to flordia

• Thread starter lithopsboy
  • Start date
I am goin to set a salt water tank in the next couple months or so, i might put some fish in it. So what i need to know is im am goin to go on a couple of scuba diving trips in Fordia and i would like to catch some fish or inverts so i would be able to put them in my tank.
tounge.gif
What i need to know is what kind of fish or inverts i could put in a small reef tank probabally 30 gallons that i would be able to find in flordia, what kind of permits and permission slips am i going to need to do this, how much wll these permits and permission slips cost, also would i be able to over night it to my friends house so he could put it into my tank that day and what equitment would i need o do that? Am i destin for falure or will it be worth it?
rock.gif

anson nesbitt

There are a few bad things about wild collecting fish:

1. It's wild collecting
tounge.gif
wow.gif

2. You usually need to use some kind of poison to stunn them for a quick second to net them. This puts both the fish and yourself at risk. The fish also usually die a few months after from the poison anyways, and it also kills any nearby coral.

3. Permits are hard to come by, you usually have to have some kind of fish company and be a breeder and you just need a new blood line, and the permit is expensive.

4. Transporting them back to your home, in heated filtered saltwater can be hard, unless you're shipping overnight with heat packs, that is also expensive and you need a permit to send live fish- lots more $$$

5. Who knows what kind of parasites these fish have anyways.

6. How are you going to keep the fish at your hotel? Unless you have a 50 gallon tank setup there, they're gonna have to stay in little styrofoam 5 gallon sized buckets that are heated and are filtered

You're almost better off just buying the fish from a well known distributer.
smile.gif
unless you're going to get a TON of fish, you're not going to get your moneys worth on the trip.

Just my 2 cents
smile.gif

-Spec

(P.S.- please don't take this as a bashing, it's just advice
smile.gif
)

ALso- You have to be at least 15 and have a scuba divers liscence to scuba dive anyways.
tounge.gif
It's gonna be hard to snorkle and dive downn 10-20 feet to get fish, all in one breath.
ghostface.gif
Also if you want to have an instructer come with you, which you can do if you want to scuba dive, its going to cost lots of money. If your father is a scuba diver he could be your instructer i guess
smile.gif

you said it all spec.

wild collection is a bad idea, especially when there are captive bred options. NOw, there are some speices that can not be bread in captivity, and they must be collected (responsibly!) however this should only be done by intelligent responsible, and professional collectors who gauge the animals health before collection. THey also know how to do so without impacting the environemnt, which fish will live in an aquarium (many will waste away as they will only eat live coral, so on) and well.. I think you get the drift, go dive, by all means, and enjoy them in their NATURAL habitat!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]ALso- You have to be at least 15 and have a scuba divers liscence to scuba dive anyways
although u are right about the license part, u dont have to be 15 to get a license(at least if u get certified with NAUI). I became SCUBA certified when i was 12 and im 14 right now
im going 4 advanced SCUBA diver now (I only need one more dive, a night dive)
tounge.gif

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

It's illegal for private parties to collect anyways, especially in Florida with all the ecological problems they're having in their reef.

-Dal

not sure if you read the whole topic... he was going to get a permit, which lets private parties collect

I'm pretty sure you can't obtain a permit in Florida anymore. Kinda fudged that part up in my post.
smile_h_32.gif

-Dal

Back