User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Seaweed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Id like to get opinions about how easy or how difficult it would be to maintain different types of tropical seaweed in a saltwater aquarium. I know that most people keep aquariums for fish and other animal life. But my interest in seaweed was sparked when I went to the beach here in Honolulu and came upon a spot with a mass of different types of seaweed. The variety was amazing lots of different colors and different shapes. I thought it would be great if they would grow in an aquarium. But I don't have any experience in saltwater aquariums. Should I try it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They're very easy to grow, generally speaking. I don't have experience with raising all the different kinds I could find, but anything I've gotten to use for filtration or food grows almost rampant.

If you do an all-plant tank, you may have to have a fish or two that doesn't "graze" to provide bio-waste for the seaweed to eat (the food that the fish don't manage to eat will help with this as well), and I expect you'll be pruning back the plants quite a bit. They grow fast!

I'd also suggest a bit of live rock in there. That would give you a nice base to root the plants to. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

-Dal

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    seaweed + saltwater + glass = perfect combo for sea horses DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST THOUGH

in all honestly, if seawead is allowed to grow rampant in a tank, one will usually out compete the others. Currently I have a tank with Cheatomorpha, Red Gracillirias "Ogo" (Hawiian endemic) and sawblade caulerpa (trying deperately to eliminate)
    \"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself: \"Mankind\". Basically, it\'s made up of two separate words - \"mank\" and \"ind\". What do these words mean ? It\'s a mystery, and that\'s why so is mankind.\" ~ Jack Handey