What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anemonies

Today I was in an aquarium purchasing some corals. After choosing the ones I wanted I saw some pretty anemonies and I was interested in some. The shop owner told me not to buy anemonies because they can harm corals if in contact with some. Is this true?! o_O

Sincerely,
Erick

RamPuppy? I used to work in a tropical fish wholesaler and took care of the salt section. We kept the fish and inverts separate but never tried keeping the corals away from the anemones. Starfish, yes. Intuitively, knowing that the stinging cells of anemone can harm the fish (other than Amphiprion and Biaculatus premnas, it would make sense to keep them apart - just to be safe. but both corals and most anemones are sessile, so contact isn't terribly likely. Which corals and anemones are you considering?

Yes Erick, Anemones do sting they are covered in nematocysts wich are basiclly litle poison spears triggered by touch, if you have ever touched an anemone they sometimes feel sticky, those are the nematocysts going int your skin. Luckly most people arent affected by anemones unless you are stung in a sensitive area like the bend in your arm opposite from the elbow:)

In any case, I'd stay clear from anemones, and if you REALLY wanted one, get a rock anemone since they have short tentacles and dont move around too much... but i'd still be weary!

-Jc

Jim, as a matter a fact, you'd be surprised how much anemones can move! They will sometimes go around in circles all over the tank untill they find a favorable spot, but can move at wil when ever they please:)

-Jc

I must have forgotten or not paid much attention. I stand corrected.

I know that if two corals get too close, they start a "war" and try to digest each other. At night they sense each other's presence somehow and the polyps come out and spew digestive juices to try and digest the other coral. Maybe they would do the same?

you can mix LPS, SPS, and Anemonies with careful planning and a good protein skimmer.

Oh absoploutly you can do it! with stunning effects, but if your just starting out I would stay clear of mixing and stay clear from sps until you got the hang of things.

But yeah lots of LPS send out huge sweeper tentacles that burn like heck and will kill big pieces of other corals. Warfare at its best ;) sps get burned by mostly anything lol I hate it when a fish knocks down a frag on a ric or something really sucks, although they ussually heal back nicely. I keep all types of corals in my sps dominated 180g and 75g I personally like the colorful rock anemones like the orange ones, and the rose anemones, the tulip anemones are nice and small. zoanthids arent ussualy burned by anemones unless it sticks right up on it. But yep planning is key! more important have fun planning it!!

-Jc

Thanx for the info guys, but I already know that anemonies sting and all of that, but the guy from the petshop told me that when the anemonies "walk around" they leave a kind of
"slime" in their path. He said that this "slime" is harmful to the coral if in contact. Strange huh? I've seen this "slime" sometimes but I've never seen any damage on the route they take.
I dont know the exact name of the anemonies I wanted...I dunno, common ones like the white ones with purple dots on the ends of each tentacle, or the pink ones, nothing special.

Thanx,
Erick

try a tube anemone. you'll have to feed it more, but it's unlikely that it'll move as much

white with purple dots are condy's

they don't host and are crap. go for a BTA, they are attractive,easy and are the natural hosts for maroon clowns.

Juan, is it the cerianthus tube anemone that moves around a lot and pretty dangerous to itstankmates?

Soooooo bottom line is I can put anemonies and nothing will happen to the corals?

No, be careful. There are potential problems.

some anemones can kill fish and leave a bad rash, too.

like carpet anemones.

Jim, they are pretty safe as long as its not a huge one... I like them because they rarely move once you dig em in. They actually dont need too much light also. They will sting corals but since they Rarely ever move from their tube once established its easy to work the corals around them.

Andenes, bottom line is: Anemones WILL sting corals so its a risk. A risk non the less but do-able with caution, planning or coral placement and just watching for any movement.
If you decide to go with an anemone avoid the condylactus anemones, go with either a bubble tip or a rock anemone. Both I cnsider to be a great first anemone the rock anemone wil NOT host a clown, the Bubble ussually do very well.

Good luck,

-Jc

Guys, sorry it took me so long to post here (haven't been able to see the topic for months!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
I know that if two corals get too close, they start a "war" and try to digest each other. At night they sense each other's presence somehow and the polyps come out and spew digestive juices to try and digest the other coral. Maybe they would do the same?

This is not exactly a true statement, though it is close. Anemones will engage in chemical warfare, but I have never heard of them trying to 'ingest' one another. eventually, the anemone with the most powerful chemical emissions will win the war, which is why many reefkeepers say 'keep one type and never mix'. I would reccomend a BTA. (E. Quadricolor)

Oh, and it is always a good idea to run carbon on any tank with lots of coral of any type, they all fight, and carbon helps!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Jim, as a matter a fact, you'd be surprised how much anemones can move! They will sometimes go around in circles all over the tank untill they find a favorable spot, but can move at wil when ever they please:)

Hasn't anyone else ever seen a anemone swim? It's really quite interesting as they only have two sets of muscles which they can use to make that kind of motion. First one side contracts while the other relaxes, then it switches sides and before you know it that sucker is on the move!

I have seen my e-quadricolor do some swimming, it is pretty cool to watch.

I think I have seen too many L.T. and carpet anemones stay relatively stationary. The Cerianthus did seem to roam a little.
biggrin.gif

Back