Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anemonies

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

Today I was in an aquarium purchasing some corals. After choosing the ones I wanted I saw some pretty anemonies and I was interested in some. The shop owner told me not to buy anemonies because they can harm corals if in contact with some. Is this true?! o.O

Sincerely,
    Erick
    Mom says: "Its stupid to collect plants that all look alike! Get a new hobie!"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    RamPuppy? I used to work in a tropical fish wholesaler and took care of the salt section. We kept the fish and inverts separate but never tried keeping the corals away from the anemones. Starfish, yes. Intuitively, knowing that the stinging cells of anemone can harm the fish (other than Amphiprion and Biaculatus premnas, it would make sense to keep them apart - just to be safe. but both corals and most anemones are sessile, so contact isn't terribly likely. Which corals and anemones are you considering?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Erick, Anemones do sting they are covered in nematocysts wich are basiclly litle poison spears triggered by touch, if you have ever touched an anemone they sometimes feel sticky, those are the nematocysts going int your skin. Luckly most people arent affected by anemones unless you are stung in a sensitive area like the bend in your arm opposite from the elbow

In any case, I'd stay clear from anemones, and if you REALLY wanted one, get a rock anemone since they have short tentacles and dont move around too much... but i'd still be weary!

-Jc
    Heliamphora ... A genus that intrigues me and fills me with joy!

-Jc
    Miami, Florida

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim, as a matter a fact, you'd be surprised how much anemones can move! They will sometimes go around in circles all over the tank untill they find a favorable spot, but can move at wil when ever they please

-Jc

-Jc
    Miami, Florida

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must have forgotten or not paid much attention. I stand corrected.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know that if two corals get too close, they start a "war" and try to digest each other. At night they sense each other's presence somehow and the polyps come out and spew digestive juices to try and digest the other coral. Maybe they would do the same?
    Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish-Euripides
    wikipedia rocks! (except for species info)(CPers-add your vast knowledge of CPs to wikipedia&#33
    A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it
    Get all the fools on your side and you can be elected to anything

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can mix LPS, SPS, and Anemonies with careful planning and a good protein skimmer.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh absoploutly you can do it! with stunning effects, but if your just starting out I would stay clear of mixing and stay clear from sps until you got the hang of things.

But yeah lots of LPS send out huge sweeper tentacles that burn like heck and will kill big pieces of other corals. Warfare at its best sps get burned by mostly anything lol I hate it when a fish knocks down a frag on a ric or something really sucks, although they ussually heal back nicely. I keep all types of corals in my sps dominated 180g and 75g I personally like the colorful rock anemones like the orange ones, and the rose anemones, the tulip anemones are nice and small. zoanthids arent ussualy burned by anemones unless it sticks right up on it. But yep planning is key! more important have fun planning it!!

-Jc

-Jc
    Miami, Florida

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast