Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pygmy/dwarf puffer fish

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then I guess I'm not gonna get a Puffer.I have no room for a larger tank than a three galon.Thanks for your help anyways guys.*Niki*
    Great Googly Moogly!

Beware of the yellow snow!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the dwarf puffers-while they might not be good for a 3 gallon, would be suitable for something a little larger-like say a 5-10 gallon.

The only thing I see as a problem is aggresion. Plant heavily.
    1 Nxventrata

D. muscipula & D. muscipula 'Red Dragon'(barely)

Sarracenia leucophylla(seedling)

S. purpurea and Drosera filiformis filiformis/ intermedia seeds waiting to sprout.

Drosera capensis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb

I don't have room for a 5 gallon either.So it's either a 3 gallon or nothing,and I guess it's nothing,oh well.*Niki*
    Great Googly Moogly!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hold on, you can always get a Siamese Fighting Fish (Betta), like the one pictured in Lisa's avatar.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My daughter loves Bettas. She thinks they have more "personality" than gold fish.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had Betta's before,yes they're very nice but I really wanted a Puffer [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] *Niki*
    Great Googly Moogly!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How 'bout a gefilte fish? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'm here...let me see...

Yup, dwarf puffers are absolutely freshwater. I don't keep them but they are very common in the LFS here. Read online that they are almost always with internal parasites so you have to be careful when you want to buy one.

3-gallon tank for two? No go. Not at least by american standards. But personally, I feel that being here in Singapore, I'll be more willing to put more fish than necessary into a tank due to space constraints and because filtration is a BIG thing. We are all going, if possible, for zero nitrates. How we carry out the filtration is also slightly different from the way you guys do it.

As for two dwarf puffers being friendly towards each other, let's just say that they may start out fine but may turn aggressive towards each other as they grow older. But someone has actually bred fahaka puffers before and mind you, those are MEAN fish. So it really depends on the nature of the puffers you buy. I have 3 ceylons puffers in a 4-gallon tank. They are average 3" long. By any other keeper's standard, that is suicide. But my puffers are happily living together. The only bite marks are due to them fighting for food. Will they stay that way? Not sure. My fahaka is alone. He left the larger ghost shrimps (3-5 of them) alone for about two weeks. But when my husband was feeding him just now, we realised we don't have a single ghost shrimp left in his tank. A sudden display of aggression as we see it.

I feed them everyday too which is another big NO-NO. But I feed only enough for survival. One piece of market prawn of less than half an inch for each of them a day. Other food for them (brackish) and my fahaka (freshwater) are like bloodworm, ramshorn snails, ghost shrimps, fresh clams, freeze dried shrimps and squid. Best thing to wear their teeth down? Clams. Just for my fish because they like to scrap the last bit of meat off the clam shells. Ramshorn snails seem too fragile for their beak-like mouth. The advice was to feed snails the size of their eye but we feed snails about 2-3 times of that.

Puffers are quite tolerate of the range of pH as long as it is stable, meaning that there are no sudden changes to their pH. I use coral chips as a buffer. pH is about 8 for my freshwater tank.

What I have to share is quite contradictory to most puffer keepers. But please feel free to check with me about other things you would like to find out about puffers in general.

My take on this? Go ahead and put 2 dwarf puffers in a 3-gallon tank if you have contracted the incurable puffer-I-love-you disease. But be prepared to separate them if you notice any signs of aggression. And you'll end up with two 3-gallon tanks. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img]

You may want to visit:
    Puffer Forum
    Dwarf Puffer Forum
    My Puffers

Cindy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast