Ecommerce Software by Shopify, click here to start your free 15 day trial
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what happens when you leave your debit card in an ATM?

Thanks

what happens when you leave your debit card in an ATM?

Sooooo since i live in a hole of a town, the water company (which is still city owned for some reason) doesn't accept anything but cash, so I had to go to an ATM today. I did the little transaction deal, got the money, put it in my wallet, and drove away. At the very beginning I selected "no receipt", so I know after giving money, the machine wasn't waiting on a response in regards to that. But anyway, what happens after that? Does the card just hang out in there (it was a debit card, so no one will have my PIN), or would it stay active and someone would be able to get all my money? Does it "time out" and spit the card out/eat it if there isn't a response within a certain amount of time?

I checked on my PC banking, and it shows my transaction as occuring (about 3:30pm), but no other transactions for the day. I first realized my card was missing at about 8pm. (anyone know how long those things lag?)

I already cancelled the card through the bank.
    But yeah basically I need to know if I'm screwed for my entire account's worth of money or what...
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Thanks
    you should be safe. i know that with PNC(my bank) the ATMs time out. cant remember how long it is.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Thanks
    as far as I know ATM transactions show up immediately on the online banking account. SO if u see no transactions...that means u must be fine considering that you already cancelled the card by notifying the bank. Basically u don't have to worry about anything apart from the pain of driving to the bank to pick up another one or waiting for a new one to be mailed.
    Varun

Thanks
    yeahh boyyeeee. THings are better than I thought then. If I only had $6 total, I think I would go swallow a grenade.
    Z polski y dumny
    Prayer - how to do nothing and still think you're helping.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F5aCUNE4Z8
    ^^^Newest vid

Thanks
    it's my understanding the machines time out and then eat the card... good luck!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm embarassed to say that I've done this a few times myself. Anyway the machine times out and eats the card. If the ATM is in a "secure" location, such as in part of a bank you can retrieve the card from the bank for 1 business day after you left the card. Otherwise the card is destroyed.

Once when I was in London (UK) I used an ATM there to get some local cash. Unlike the machines I'm used to in the US it pops the card out after you enter the PIN. I was wondering what was happening when it swallowed the card after about 15-30 seconds. I went ahead with the withdrawal and waited for my card to be returned. Nothing. I went into the bank and they had someone to retrieve the card for me. It was somewhat embarassing to explain to them the differences between the procedures. At least the display could have said "Please remove card" or something of the sort.

Thanks
    I'm confused! Do cash machines in the US give you your money and then give you your card? Over here it's the opposite - you have to take your card back before it will dispense the money.

If you walk off without taking your money though, it takes it back in in 15 seconds or so and recredits your account.

Thanks
    All ATM's that I've been at beep at ya really annoyingly until you retrieve your card. You can't walk away from your card unless you are truly deaf.
    Only a moral and virtuous people are capable of freedom; the more corrupt and vicious a people becomes, the more it has need of masters. -- Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    I have come across three different "card return" procedures for ATM's around here, (Rochester, NY)

1. The machine takes your card into itself, and spits it back out only after all transactions are done. (the most common)

2. Machine takes in card, and spits it back out after you enter pin, then you complete transactions. (fairly common)

3. swipe card, card never enters machine at all. (least common)

and the "timeout" is quick..like 10 seconds or less.
    you only have seconds to grab it..
    the machine will "eat" it before the car behind you can even get to the machine.

Scot

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scottychaos View Post
    3. swipe card, card never enters machine at all. (least common)
    Most practical. I wonder why more ATM's are like this?

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast