Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Help and advice for VFT set up

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    There was discussion on this on the ICPS listserv. It seems that seasonal light cues are more important for dormancy then colder temperatures. That's not to say colder temperatures are not a factor however it is possible to grow Dionaea indoors long term under lights. Ask John Brittnacher, seed bank manager for the ICPS who grows his under lights.
    yes, but the dormancy is the tricky bit..
    perhaps long-time experienced growers can do it, but for newbies its MUCH easier to just keep them outdoors..
    you still have to actually *provide* dormancy if you are going to grow them indoors..
    which is much more difficult indoors than outdoors..
    I have always said that..
    I have also always said "you cant grow them indoors long term WITHOUT a dormancy"..like keeping them in a terrarium
    without providing decreased photoperiod and decreased temps in the fall and winter.
    It is still true you cant grow them indoors if you don't provide a proper dormancy..
    thats the part I have always fought against..

You mentioned dormancy in more detail in 2009, but you glossed over it this time:

Barry Rice, Ivan Snyder and TerraForums member Laura all grow their Dionaea under fixtures as described above (Barry uses 6 tubes). Dormancy is handled by moving the plants outdoors mid autumn, moving them to a windowsill and/or keeping the room unheated.
    There was discussion on this on the ICPS listserv. It seems that seasonal light cues are more important for dormancy then colder temperatures.
    that has never been proven..
    its a convenient theory for those who want to try to grow indoors, since controlling light is easier than controlling temp..
    but there is no evidence that its true..
    and I have evidence that cold temps are absolutely required, and decreased photoperiod alone, without decreased temps as well, will *not* result in proper dormancy..
    (my bonsai tree example..I can look it up again if anyone wants to read it)

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aza View Post
    You may have even made me reconsider about putting a fly trap on my north facing window sill, which is brightly lit all day, but obviously not directly
    But you *want* directly!
    North facing window would be the worst of the four possible choices..
    South would be best (the most direct sunlight)
    East and West would be 2nd best. (direct light morning or evening)
    North would be worst..not nearly enough light.

Scot

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Of course temperate plants need winter dormancy and it appears people need to pay attention to these requirements in cultivation. Whatever works best for you. I've always grown them outside in NC. However, someone in Hawaii, I'm sure different than someone in Anchorage, AK. VFT's and Sarracenia need dormancy as adult flowering plants to be healthy regardless of how you allow them to rest unless I've missed something. You can grow them as seedlings under lights for a couple of years under a vigorous light regime-I've had them get big quick under these scenarios. As older plants, rest helps grow vigorous plants in my experience. Photoperiod is important too given NCs last winter in the 60s. I would expect both photoperiod and temps are important regardless, especially to a new grower.

If someone were to trade or buy a new vft in a small tiny pot for their porch, they should know, it will die in a typical NC winter due to lack of surface area in the pot. Some far north temperate or boreal carnivore growers make great use of basements and refrigerators.
    Last edited by DroseraBug; 06-17-2012 at 10:12 PM.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This thread interests me. I'm moving to an apartment sometime soon and I don't have any secure outdoor space for my large VFT pots.

I live in North Texas and I currently keep my flytraps outdoors in the full sun all year long without too much fuss. Winters are very mild so they usually have an easy dormancy. My biggest worry is how the plants will react when I move them indoors on a sunny apartment window (maybe 4.5 hours of direct light at best) that will be air-conditioned. It will be a huge shift from having about 6 to 7 hours of direct outdoor light in 90 degree weather. Will that throw them off their growth cycle?

My plan is to try and grow them indoors and then find somewhere to move them outside during the short autumn period when the outside and inside tempertatures are roughly the same and the summer AC period finally ends.

At this point, I'm tempted to try and trade them for more indoor friendly plants because I really don't want to mess with grow lights. I hope I don't have to do that since they're my favorite carnivorous plant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi,

I believe Scotty is right....VFT's love it outdoors and the more sun you give em; the more vigorous they seem to get. Just to give a comparison, it sounds like your setup is roughly 5,000 lumens(closer to 4800 probably) at a narrow spectrum where a bright sunny day is 50,000 lumens at full spectrum. As long as they have some humidity and food you can expect to see noticeable growth during a photoperiod as small as 7 hours from personal experience. but in general VFT's to me are hardy plants and seem to tolerate things other cp's would find disagreeable minus light of course.

far as a suggestion....if you are available to do it would be to put them in the window as often as u can and back under the lights when there isn't any light in the window and def get a reflector.

Sundews sound like they are just getting used to the conditions...give them a few more days and they should start dewing again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with scottychaos, I stopped replying to people wanting to grow VFTs and Sarracenias indoors. It gets frustrating trying to get them to understand. Guess they need to learn the hard way.
    Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Aza View Post
    I do have my own place, along with a wife and 2 children, not at college anymore
    Trouble is I dont have the garden...I think I may have to donate the VFTs to my parent's garden.
    Shame really as I was hoping to get my set up to work, cant have it all though I suppose!
    You can grow them OUTSIDE until fall then refrigerate them until March. It gets too cold here in N.Y. to keep them outside so in the fridge they go! My VFTs are at least 5 years old now.

Taken 2 days ago IIRC.

Twitter : Tommytimbertoes

This signature removed because of whining little crybabies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    that being said i do practice a couple exceptions:

If the conditions are unfavorable such as blistering heat or thunderstorm i do opt to bring them inside but not for extended periods. Other than that i will give them some growlight time if they are young or infirmed.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast