What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help and advice for VFT set up

hi,

I believe Scotty is right....VFT's love it outdoors and the more sun you give em; the more vigorous they seem to get. Just to give a comparison, it sounds like your setup is roughly 5,000 lumens(closer to 4800 probably) at a narrow spectrum where a bright sunny day is 50,000 lumens at full spectrum. As long as they have some humidity and food you can expect to see noticeable growth during a photoperiod as small as 7 hours from personal experience. but in general VFT's to me are hardy plants and seem to tolerate things other cp's would find disagreeable minus light of course.

far as a suggestion....if you are available to do it would be to put them in the window as often as u can and back under the lights when there isn't any light in the window and def get a reflector.

Sundews sound like they are just getting used to the conditions...give them a few more days and they should start dewing again.

I agree with scottychaos, I stopped replying to people wanting to grow VFTs and Sarracenias indoors. It gets frustrating trying to get them to understand. Guess they need to learn the hard way.

I do have my own place, along with a wife and 2 children, not at college anymore ;)
Trouble is I dont have the garden...I think I may have to donate the VFTs to my parent's garden.
Shame really as I was hoping to get my set up to work, cant have it all though I suppose!

You can grow them OUTSIDE until fall then refrigerate them until March. It gets too cold here in N.Y. to keep them outside so in the fridge they go! My VFTs are at least 5 years old now.

Taken 2 days ago IIRC.

IMG_1060.jpg

that being said i do practice a couple exceptions:

If the conditions are unfavorable such as blistering heat or thunderstorm i do opt to bring them inside but not for extended periods. Other than that i will give them some growlight time if they are young or infirmed.

Is that VFT in the last picture at bristletooth? :) theyre my favroite variety!

I grow sarracenia purpurea, minor, psittacina and a dozen of vft indoor. Under 2 strongs sunblaster neon with reflector, and all my plants are perfects. My vfts are reddish, perfect coloration, my sarracenias too. My minors look like the pictures i can see from the wild, even more colors. So stop saying its impossible.

I dont understand your frustration, maybe you just have the wrong light. A florida sunny day is about 40000 to 50000 lumens, and its very easy to do indoor.

I think heliamphora need more(!) light than vft, and do you grow them outside or under artificial light?

Maiden

Back