What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Incorporating Tillandsia Into Your CP Collection

Radagast

NECPS Editor
My apologies if this already exists but I cannot seem to find anything on it.

I'm new to CP's and will be building a grow rack soon. I already have a tiny collection of Tillandsia and was wondering how all of you incorporate them among your other plant collections? I know some folks do the "tree" method, others hang them by fishing line, or even just let them sit on a shelf next to a potted plant.

Are there any other ideas that anyone would like to share regarding how they display their Tillandsia among their CP's?

I group Tillandsias with my orchids at work because the care needs are similar. Replace hanging baskets of orchids with hanging baskets of Nepenthes and there you go.

Last edited:
That looks awesome! I want to live there haha. I'll have to get some pics of my Tilly's up tomorrow. Once I build the grow rack I'm thinking I'll hang them to the bars somehow and they can dangle and really add some interesting shapes and colors to the display.

Amazing place! Thanks for sharing.

I grow 2 tillandsia species with my cps :)

I keep a Tillandsia cyanea with my orchids as well. It's about to bloom any day now. My cps are all outdoor temperates so Tillandsias are not suitable companions.

I've tried to grow some local Spanish Moss tilly but I can't seem to get down how to mount them or water them. They always seem dry and unhappy even if misted daily. *shrugs*

Hey Gigantea

I don't have any Spanish moss of my own but based on videos I've seen on YouTube: several people mount it using zip tie's and orchid clips for a low profile mount that doesn't stand out too much. I would also try soaking it and seeing how that works, and supplement with spraying/misting.

I think they require a lot more water than most people realize. Down here they attach themselves to trees and they deprive the trees of nutrients so badly that the limbs break and fall off the tree. So I imagine they need an almost constant tap source for water. Mostly the mounting I just never seem to have anything good to mount them on- however I do like it when I can just get the tree branch with the plant still attached. Those seem to do better for me mounted on shelves outside.

I think they require a lot more water than most people realize.

I agree. Or at least they like higher humidity. They also seem to require good air circulation as well.

Down here they attach themselves to trees and they deprive the trees of nutrients so badly that the limbs break and fall off the tree.

Deprive trees of nutrients? No, Tillandsia usneoides is not parasitic. The host tree is simply used as a mount so as to be off the ground ... not unlike many other species of bromeliads or many species of orchids.

I know they are said to only be anchor roots but down here they get so thick in the trees that they kill the trees. Branches they are attached to always end up breaking off at some point. Definitely would never plant them in my oak trees.

I agree they do take a lot more water than people think. I put mine in Vanda Orchid Baskets with Sphagnum moss packed around roots.. After I started planting them in baskets I had big growth changes.. I hang the baskets outside spring till fall here in Ohio and in the winter they come inside and set by my grow lights along side my other plants.

Back