What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bio

Plant Whisperer
attachment.php

From left to right: Back row: Nepenthes ventricosa x ((x tiveyi) x truncata), Nepenthes hamata AW4, Nepenthes inermis Gadut, Sumatra AW, Nepenthes sibuyanensis x (spectabilis x aristolochioides). Front row: Nepenthes robcantleyi, Nepenthes peltata, and an empty pot that is no longer in the HL chamber.
More pics coming soon.

Last edited:
When I looked at the top of the picture at first, I thought there was a rock wall in the background. Nice plants!

attachment.php

Close-up of the latest pitcher on Nepenthes hamata. Sorry for the poor quality.

attachment.php

Nepenthes peltata from that notorious MA nursery.

Last edited:
awesome growing!!! your grow set up looks great :) what is that sphere in your peltata pot?

It's an osmocote pellet. I usually put a couple in a pot (of Nepenthes) to give them an extra boost.

Last edited:
awesome growing!!! your grow set up looks great :) what is that sphere in your peltata pot?
Osmocote pellets. Because they are transparent, I can tell they are old and have emptied their contents. It's probably also why that pot is somewhat greenish looking.

In the right amount it's not harmful and I use a very slow release 9-month formula on my mature Neps once a year.

attachment.php

Nepenthes inermis with N. hamata

attachment.php

My terrarium- from left to right: Back row: A very sickly N. ampullaria, N. clipeata clone U, N. clipeata clone 2, Cephalotus follicularis. Front row: N. tobaica seedlings (supposedly), Drosera x tokaiensis(probably). Wow, I need to clean the glass.

attachment.php

Still too small for an ID, although feel free to guess. The seedlings from above.

Any idea as to what's wrong with the ampullaria? I have tried every bit of advice I could find, but it keeps developing the brown patches.

Last edited:
If by brown patches, you mean those visible on the leaves in the last pic? Those look like old leaves dying off to me, how long have you had the plant? It can take some time for any plant to adjust to conditions.

If by brown patches, you mean those visible on the leaves in the last pic? Those look like old leaves dying off to me, how long have you had the plant? It can take some time for any plant to adjust to conditions.

I've had the plant for about 1 1/2 years, and it grew fine until it outgrew its terrarium and I moved it into the larger terrarium.
The spots form on new leaves, slowly spreading until the leaf is dead. It may be hard to see but here's a 'better' pic. I got it from You-Know-Where in Texas if that helps. It barely had a growth point when I got it. It's about 4" tall, and has a diameter of ~9".
attachment.php

While I'm at it I might as well post pics of happier plants, so here's the happiest of all, S. oreophila. :rolleyes:
attachment.php

Here's another happy endangered sarr, S. jonesii.
attachment.php

To top off my mountain sarr collection, here's S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. montana. This seemed like a better pic when I took it. :thumbdown:
attachment.php

Last edited:
An update on the inermis, here is it's latest pitcher.
attachment.php

It's kind of hard to tell, but this is a basal on the N. inermis. I thought they rarely got basals when vining, much less at the size of mine?!?
attachment.php

And here is a full picture of my C. follicularis - typical.
attachment.php

attachment.php

A new N. glabrata x aristolochioides. Not much to look at yet.

attachment.php

U. longifolia
Is this setup good for U. longifolia. It's an undrained plastic container; the medium is pure lfs. It will be grown in highland conditions. (58-61* at night)

The C. follicularis looks fantastic. Kind of ominous looking. I love it!

N. robcantleyi had a decent jump in leaf size.
attachment.php

Last edited:
Awesome, good growing on your robcantleyi. The painting looks great, the colors go well. : )

The C. follicularis looks fantastic. Kind of ominous looking. I love it!

Thanks, I wish it looked that good now. Most of the old pitchers have dried up, to make way for the new ones.

Last edited:
A panoramic of my highland chamber.
attachment.php

This might be my last picture for a while. I got a new camera, and for some reason it isn't letting me upload the photos. This was the only one that it let me upload.

Last edited:
your C. follicularis amazing!!!!!!! I had to check out your photo thread and I was wondering if you have a post on your terrarium. The set up and materials you used. thanks ^_^

your C. follicularis amazing!!!!!!! I had to check out your photo thread and I was wondering if you have a post on your terrarium. The set up and materials you used. thanks ^_^

Thank you. The terrarium is just a 10 gallon tank that has aluminum foil around the sides. Lighting is two 2' T8 bulbs. ~12 watts each.

I can't believe I forgot to post this pic of Heliamphora heterodoxa x minor.
attachment.php

man, i think heliamphora is what i want to buy next. Prob will fit perfectly into my 10 gallon fish tank.

Back